PLC Data to SQL Server...

skeeziix

I am a computer programmer looking to get all our PLC data pushed to a SQL server. We have proprietary PLC systems, GE, Allen Bradley, Flow-meters, Cameras, and whatever else.

I am trying to locate a software or program to get the data real-time out of these systems without bogging down the PLC or the network. Currently, our PLCs write either End of Day/End of Minute files out to a text file or an Access Database, depending upon the system.

So far I have researched Ignition (Factory PMI/Factory SQL) www.inductiveautomation.com; GE, and Rockwell Automation.

What is the best way to communicate PLC data out to a SQL Server?

Thanks much!
Erica

I've used both Factory SQL(and the new ignition opcua components). Works well for my applications.

Depending on the type of plc, you may need an opc server to talk between them if there isn't a OPCUA driver yet as part of Ignition.

Apparently Kepware V5.x can log data directly to an odbc database so no need for any other equipment/code, however if you wish to use kepware to grab the data then VB or C++ to populate the DB then it comes with the opcautomation dll that allows you to write a client (comes with sample code as well).
To be honest I bet most opc servers come with this i.e. takibishi, matrikon inat etc.

We use a Software called SQL4Automation. With this Software you have direct access from a plc or robot to a sql database. There are libraries for all CoDeSys plc, Stäubli Kuka and Bosch robots, Siemens will be released at the end of March. The only thing you need is a tcp socket connection from the plc to this connector. The connector can be downloaded and tested for free from the homepage.

Last edited:
Another useful tool is OPC Router (English version exits). Needs any OPC Server to communicate with PLC, connects all SQL driven databases without limitations in clients, transfers etc. You can set conditions for data transfer as well as update existing records, if necessary (integrated SQL Select) or execute stored procedures. Also set/reset answer and error bits in case of (un)successful actions.

If system stability is a critical factor, each location would need its own system regardless which software you use. (Or do you have 99.9% availability with your connection between locations)?

The Router mentioned can collect data via Internet (e. g. if you need a value every 30 minutes or so and it doesn't really matter ...), but more secure, data is stored locally in a database and central aggregation is arranged independently from production network.

Kepserver ex5 now supports sql to db, I have used v4 on many projects & it's good, you can have more than one driver (at a cost of course)you can download a demo that works for 2 hours & I assume it is fully functional i.e. sql as well.
It's easy to use & must be cheaper than using a scada system that will ultimately require opc drivers anyway.
As someone already said kepware comes with the opcenum interface that you can use in vb I have used this to write a recipe download from sql db to mitsubishi plc's.

Of course, it depends on the tasks.

As far as I know, KepServer's data logger doesn't support SQL-Updates, and the trigger function is quite basic.

Looking at the kind and amount of data, you might want to exchange between PLC, MES/SCADA, ERP etc. in future, the overall costs for an easily to configure middleware specialized on data exchange could be significantly lower than for programming tools for each download.

If you are quite sure (are you?) that you only have to log data from PLC to SQL DB in given intervals, you might do fine with the Kep. If your ideas are amongst others to let your systems communicate independently and synchronously (immediate replies), then you want to look further.