Compactlogix as time master.

Mikemator

Hi All.

I have been asked to add some timers and make some simple logic changes to a Compactlogix 5370 series plc, however when I went to download the changes a warning came up about Compactlogix being the master time control for system and third party devices.
The plc controls several vfd's and remote I/O via ethernet/IP and uses a switch to distribute the signals.

What ramifications would there be if I downloaded these changes and how would I rectify them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not particularly sure if it would pertain to you. I have only seen the master time controller used with CIP motion (servos).

May be other use cases.

It is possibly only warning you that the plc is the time master and any devices connected to it may lose “time” on a running system.

I would just shut the machine down to a stop and place the plc in program mode. Then download the changes. Should be fine.

Hi Seth.

Thank you for the prompt response. You have confirmed exactly what I was thinking.

It's so great having this forum to bounce ideas off other people.

Thanks again!