Wiring s contactor without aux. contacts

kapooski2012

On my trainer I’m using a 3 phase telemechanique contactor without holding contacts. The inputs on the contactor are not being used except for L1 which I’m using in a loop to keep the coil energized. How do I land the wires on the PLC? Input 0 get the stop wire, input 1 gets the start wire I then take a wire direct from the line side to the L1 , to keep the coil energized, I haven’t ran the program yet…I figure to put it to the forum first, I’m sure there is someone out there that has wired a contactor that did not have auxiliary contacts, did I land the wires on the PLC at the right spot? Or is there another way?

How do I land the wires on the PLC?
You connect a wire from one PLC Output (the one you have programmed for this contactor) to one side of the coil terminal for the contactor (L1?). The other coil terminal of the contactor should then go to your Neutral (if this is 120 volt circuits).

You will get better answers to your questions if you continue your old thread, instead of adding a new one. If you do addd a new thread, you must completely explain what PLC brand and model you are using, and then attach a copy of your program. You can avoid repeating all that by just searching for your old post and then adding a new post on at the end. Then you will not have to reinvent the wheel each time.

Because I was talking about a different subject "the contactor" I assume start a new post. I guess it is indirect related to what I'm doing with my AB-ML 1000 PLC. I guess I made a booboo! I'll try to not let it happen again, and stay on the same thread, that way all the info is there.

I guess it is indirect related to what I'm doing with my AB-ML 1000 PLC.
I think it is directly, specifically, intimately related to the type of PLC that you are using. Probably you do not realize yet how many different wiring schemes are used, and how many hundreds of different PLCs are out there. Without knowing the exact one, no one can tell you how to connect wires to the terminals.

Searching back through your old posts, I see that your MicroLogix1000 is a model 1761-L32AWA. Here is the wiring diagram for that PLC from the MicroLogix1000 User Manual. Wire your contactor like the the CR relay is wired to Output O:0/0 in the lower output diagram. You must make sure that your contactor does not use more than the rated PLC relay output current (1.5 Amps breaking current at 120 volts and 86 degrees F). Do not worry about your contactor auxiliary contacts. Those are not required to operate the contactor, but you could use a NO auxiliary contact as a feedback signal to one of your PLC input terminals. You would use that aux contact as a seal-in contact in your PLC program to seal in the PLC ouput once the contactor is energized.

Micrologix 1000 1761-L32AWA Wiring Diagram.jpg

Last edited: