Wire size conversion American AWG to European

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am supplying a control system to Singapore.
The range of AWG wire size for the main breaker is 3/0 to 500 mcm.

How do I put this in European standard?
1 searched it but I get all sorts of different conversions sizes.

https://muellergroup.net/technical/metric-awg-to-mm2-conversion-chart/

surely there is a real standard......🤞🏻

The attached link looks reasonable...

edit - scott's link looks totally different....

See...
That is what I found....different sites have different sizes??????

But..this is what I found the most..
3/0 = 95 mm squared
500 mcm = 240 mm squared

Ah, good old AWG. Because why use an actual measurement to describe the size of your cable when you can use a totally unrelated number instead? :D

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 8.30.26 am.png

Ah, good old AWG. Because why use an actual measurement to describe the size of your cable when you can use a totally unrelated number instead? :D

Come now, you don't want to make electrical work too easy.. otherwise everyone will be doing it!

I like to submit the odd invoice with interesting descriptions... like a recent radio antenna i had to re-align was described as "Found radiating element misaligned by more than 36 degrees. Re-aligned using Eyeometer. Tested RSSI, all OK."

Because lots of people are used to it. And, truth be told, how often one actually measures the cross-section of a conductor? When all you do is read a label or a print mark, it is just some number in either case.

An interesting note to using AWG instead of cross section...
an example..4/0 THHN will not fit in same connector as 4/0 weld cable. The fine stranding makes the diameter larger, so you need the next size larger connector.