Temperature Sender

abouamsoura

I have here Diesel engine Caterpillar D399 and they are using
- Datcon Gauge Sender oil Pressure P/N 102227
- Maxima Gauge Sender Temp. P/N 02023-00
I want to connect the signal from each sender to a PLC input.(one wire coming from each sender)
what type of PLC card I should use (analogue input, Temperture input RTD)?
FYI,i am using Modicon M340.

i already did that and they just saying it should be treated as anagle input signal without mention what type of signals a they should be (+/-5V or 0-10V or mA).
and they send me two charts with (resistance vs psi) !!!

If the manufacturer won't tell, there's no way I can tell you what the sensed voltage is.

There's a workaround for the pressure: install a pipe tee into the pressure port and install a pressure transmitter that you provide so you know what its output is. Both the factory and your pressure sensors 'see' the same pressure at the pipe tee.

To figure out either the factory pressure temperature sensor signal, you need to know that the way resistance is read electronically is to pump a constant current through the resistance and read the voltage drop.

To find the current value, disconnect the wire to the temp sensor and put a milliamp/ampmeter in series to measure the current.

Ohms law tells you what the voltage drop is at any resistance value: voltage (volts) = current (amps) * resistance (ohms).

That tells you voltage range of the sensor over the temperature range.

To get the signal, you measure voltage drop across the sensor with a DC volt input card. Look-up or calculate the temperature from the resistance/voltage drop table.