OT: Ever had your computer destroyed?

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I was commissioning this small pump house. Actually, the one from my old post. It was about 6PM and I was putting the final touches on the float switches for the cistern, when BOOM. A 4" main PVC coupling blew apart and soaked my laptop and the half of me facing the pipe. Kind of like a cartoon.

I pulled out the USB cable, ran outside. Right-away removed the battery cover and disconnected the battery. It was also raining outside to add insult to injury.

I went back to the shop, removed the hard drives, ram, wifi card, etc then pulled out the heat gun and dried it out. The only casualty was a few keys on the keyboard that the "water" melted as I was drying it out. Went back to the site after the plumbing was repaired and finished setting up the system. I gotta hand it to this Inspiron 7559. It is still going strong. As an aside, I left the USB cable in the AD P1000 while the other end floated in a few inches of water. Before I left for the shop, I went back in and removed that USB cable and the USB port on the processor still works.

All-in-all, I can't imagine being any luckier.

That sounds really lucky!

I sorta one time partially backed over my wifes backpack with her work laptop in it.... Wasn't the best idea.

To be fair, I wired up the guy's house this work was being done for. I went to kill a brown recluse and knocked a 12x12 hole in his wall that he didn't make a big fuss about, so the last thing I wanted was for them to pay for my laptop.

Destroyed - no
Stolen by fellow worker - yes. company laptop. all files backed up on network dailey when I finished the work. Sad, no one would tell the boss who did it. I found out several months later when he left the company and he carried it to a friends place of work.

at my current site, all laptops are encrypted and everyone must go through a security checkpoint.
james

That sounds really lucky!

I sorta one time partially backed over my wifes backpack with her work laptop in it.... Wasn't the best idea.

Why did your wife leave her backpack on the ground by the car, haha. My ex would've blamed me if SHE would've backed over her OWN stuff.

Working at home, laptop on table, glass of wine on table, grandchild in vicinity.....
Laptop did not survive.

I was able to save the hard drive though.

New laptop (cheaper one actually).

Showing a co-worker how to commission a RTU location out in the field.
Left the cap for a USB drive used as a software key on the laptop key board.
Closed the Laptop ... Crack goes the screen.... oops!!!!!!

I had the water hose treatment as well one time.

With my old company, I had to manage my own computer. Activation, software and all those things I had to do. Well I stepped away from my computer for just a moment, a sanitation worker came along and connected a water hose to a nearby quick connect. He didn't have it seated well and the hose blew off when he turned on the valve. It soaked my computer. It fried and off to the local computer shack to purchase another.

Now I would just email IT and say send me another one quick! Plus, now I use a tough book.

Not 100% destroyed, but I did lose all my data.

Working a startup, laptop on a folding table, guy walks by, tangles his feed in the power cords, rips laptop off table onto floor, hard drive died on impact.

Man I have destroyed more than I can count.... one I had on the entrance conveyor to a set of nip rollers, when I (yes I) started the machine I could not stop it in time when I remembered and heard the CRUNCH! another was blew up and melted from a battery fire

My worse ah **** was not with a laptop.... got home from Lowes and unloaded my brand new 12" dewalt sliding compound miter saw, man I was looking so forward to using it but I didn't even get it out of the box before I backed the truck up and right over top of it, to this day it brings a tear to my eye. :cry:

Awesome stories guys. This is my personal laptop, too. I mean, I'm sure it would have been covered. Like I was telling my boss. I prefer my personal laptop for doing work. I deal with enough funky situations I like administering my own computer. In fact, unless it is a site-security kind of thing, I don't want to work anywhere that I can't administer my own computer. I've been doing it over 20 years and have a pretty good idea what I'm doing.

Speaking of all this jazz, anyone know of any good loop calibrator repair shops? Seems mine is on the fritz. I have an old Beta one from the 90's.

remember that one about 15 years ago, i was working on a drinking water pump station. the panel was installed just beside a large pipes at full pressure. There was a gage installed in the pipe that was blocking the panel door from opening all the way.

i was okay with about 30-40deg opening to work but an operator came by the other side and wanted to see what i was doing so he pulled on the door hard enough to break the 3/4inch pipe holding the gage. water reach the roof and return back down on me, my laptop and the 600v distribution panel. i just took out my laptop and ran outside...

Removed the battery and let it dry on my car defrost for at least an hour. Fortunately i had some dry clotches with me.
When i powered it back up it was still working ok ! I wonder if it was because the water ph was perfectly adjusted lol.

Another time, my laptop was on my back pack and i slip on ice while going at my car and fall on it...I broke the corner but it still work fine, i kept it as a back-up