ControlNet Data Exchange

nik124

So I am working with a PLC5/40C Rev. A and a PLC5/40C Rev. C communicating through controlnet. The system is already setup and running. There is a integer file from one plc that communicates 8 words N74:200-N74:207 to N73:40-N73:47 of the other plc. I am seeing this in rsnetworx “scanlist configuration”. I have not worked with controlnet at all. I understand how the data flows from one plc to the other. My question is how do I transfer more data back and forth to the same plc’s? Do I have to modify the network schedule or can I do it in the plc program like controllogix msg system. Thanks for any advice.

You would have to re-define the Produced/Consumed data connection and re-schedule the ControlNet to increase the size of that scheduled data connection (or to create a new one).

You can exchange data between the PLC-5C controllers over the ControlNet with MSG instructions as well, but of course it won't be as fast and reliable as the scheduled I/O connections.

You would have to re-define the Produced/Consumed data connection and re-schedule the ControlNet to increase the size of that scheduled data connection (or to create a new one).

You can exchange data between the PLC-5C controllers over the ControlNet with MSG instructions as well, but of course it won't be as fast and reliable as the scheduled I/O connections.

Thanks Ken! I do have the controlnet file and I can open it up in rsnetworx. I don’t have an experience with configuring it to add more data exchange between the two processors. I do however think that the message instruction is a good idea! I have done it many times on control logix platforms but not on PLC5’s. The data isn’t controlling anything just displaying information on a PV. Thanks