When bossman says to "Hide"

Gadelric

Every time we get visitors, boss man tells me to "Hide".
During his donkey and pony show, he doesn't want the customers to see me beating on the line.

What are some of the things you guys do to kill time when you are told to hide?

I go to my desk, Teamviewer onto my home computer and work on my home PLC's or surf the internet without the company firewall's interference. (Make sure your monitors face away from the aisle & other desks!)

Seriously, take the company pickup to the local AB or Siemens distributor for a while.

Most of our storage racks are phenomenally well-organized, but we have a mezzanine over the tool room full of shelves and crates that we call the "Thrift Shop", where test, demo, and removed-from-service stuff goes to retire.

If I need to be out of the way, I grab a clipboard and go sort stuff in the Thrift Shop. Often I find things I didn't know that other people had put there and that I could use for my own experiments and tests benches.

Plus, I can see both shops end-to-end from up there, and overhear most of what they're talking about.

back when I was in the military (MANY years ago) sometimes the order of the day was to "Mill About Smartly" ...

that meant that you couldn't simply go hide ... instead you had to be in fairly continuous random motion - preferably carrying something like a clipboard or maybe a box full of important looking "stuff" from one location to another ... and you were supposed to at least "look like" you had a reason for what you were doing ...

Last edited:
On a similar note, if the big boss walks in and you're talking about last night's football, soap opera, news, whatever, just change the subject to any mildly work related subject and keep talking.

Stopping that conversation is a dead giveaway that you weren't "working".

Downtime makes the day go toooo slow!

Iv only ever been in this situation once, at a unionized shipyard. The contract for that ship is a bazillion man hours and dammit we will put in a bazillion man hours. *** scratching and Dog*&$#*. Then ask for an extension at the end of the contract for "extras". Somebody was making some money!

The money was great, the work was thin and boring.

I didn't stay there long!

Ron's post reminds me of a time when I had to go & see a guy about commissioning some plant at a very, very well known Aviation company. I met up with him in his office and he explained he was new to the job. He told me that when he started, they put him into his office & left him, Nothing to do so after a week he started to get worried. He then told me that he plucked up the courage to ask a chap in the next office what he was supposed to do. The chap replied "just walk up & down the corridor a few times a day with some papers under your arm", they will eventually give you something to work on.
Thus after 5 weeks this was his first job.

Why hide? I am proud of my guys. If I weren't they wouldn't be working for me.

Hear Hear!!! 🍻

I could not stand when they had the corporate suits do a tour and say 'hide', they should be proud of the people that make improvements and keep their production running.

The biggest problem we face these days is the young 'uns, head down, fingers and thumbs moving, as they frantically surf their smartphones.

We have had a few pulled up by the "bossmen"as to why they feel the need to do this in worktime...

The biggest problem we face these days is the young 'uns, head down, fingers and thumbs moving, as they frantically surf their smartphones.

We have had a few pulled up by the "bossmen"as to why they feel the need to do this in worktime...

AAAGREEED!!!!! OT RANT COMING!!!

I cant stand this. Its not even that they feel the need. Its just all they know. If they didn't exist on the internet then they don't exist in real life.
We have a 20 something here now who wants to be something, however, he cant look away from it for 10 minutes. He even knows its not allowed but....
This bull*** is even infiltrating my own home regardless of my threats to ban all things digital that don't relate to work. I try to teach my kid (and wife) that its a TOOl, that is all, nothing more. but it seems that I am the only one in my world preaching this. Why the school allows them to have devices at an elementary school level anyway makes no sense to me. My kid doesn't have one, but defiantly has access to one through his peers. He doesn't have internet or violent games at home but damn well knows all about stupid things like Fortnight and Five Nights at Freddy's. Getting a bit OT here but just saying that this madness has to stop. Its de-evolving the human brain.

A person shouldn't feel alone 90% of the time while sitting in a room with other people as this is going on continuously. In the Dr Office, In the grocery store, at work, at the school concert, before the movie, during the movie, the guy driving the big rig on the highway after the movie. Its sad!

Id like to see an academic comparison of kids in this age compared to kids at the same level in the pre-internet days in things like reading and writing.

I want a time machine. Iv never been there but the 70's look pretty cool about now!