You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:10 AM   #16
JNTurcotte_Aryz
Canada

I was wondering if anyone found any issue on this ?

I have the same type of problem.
We have powerflex 40, when we shut-down power either for maintenance or when they are cleaning (lock out tag out) and we restart. Once in a while, a drive will not communicate anymore and if we wait 10-30 minutes, it will come back alive. That's been going on for nearly 3 years when the equipment was install. (before I got here).

Now I am starting to have the same issue but worst with another drive in the same system.
There was no communication, even if we waited 30 minutes. Last week-end during shutdown, same issue and it took 1hour something before comeback alive. We got the equipment running by installing a contactor but 60hz isn't what we are looking for on this, we need a drive.
It eventually came back but after something like 3 hours.

I don't think my guys tested it on "manual" even if I asked.

Was wondering if anyone ever found the problem and fixed it ?

Thank you
Old September 3rd, 2015, 09:17 AM   #17
iggy
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

We have had this issue many times, we contacted Rockwell, what we were told (off top of my head not in office) that the power supplyed to the ribbon cable is bad or going bad. They say it is a heat problem which I think is BS, our cabinets are ac and humidity controlled. Bad design
I was doing some PLC Programming on my laptop while waiting on my grandmother to get ready to go out to lunch. She says she is ready, I tell her to hold on a sec I have to find a couple of bits, she reaches into her purse and pulls out a quarter for me.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:04 PM   #18
bluenoser337
Canada

Pointer 22- NO COMM-E (that was NO COMM)

Holy C R A P...I just went through about 6 hours fighting with this same problem. 12 PowerFlex 40s on Ethernet. After a PLC powerdown to change a battery that we couldn't get out of an L35E without removing the CPU, 2 of the 12 22-COMM-E cards went blank (the LEDs all off), would not power up, and would not communicate. The drives were not even shut off. I have to say that I normally enjoy good tech support from Rockwell but, given that this is a known problem, the hours and hours spent on the phone with them today leaves me with a bad taste. I think far too much time was spent on the communications with the PLC and those annoying ribbon cables. The tech support rep clearly thought I was crazy. IMHO, the PLC is not going to communicate if there are no LEDs on, on the COMM-E. Anyway, was only able to get one working again and don't really know why it's working. Just spent hours swapping cards and cables from spare parts and other working drives until it lit up. No rhyme nor reason to it. Also, trying to upload from drive and 22-COMM-E using connected components workshop and 1203-USB. About 20 seconds after plugging in the 1203 to the serial port in the drive, and beginning the upload, the LEDs all went out again and comms were lost with the PLC and the CCW software. Final tech support suggestion was to upgrade CPU firmware to 20 from 16. Not risking that late Friday evening when most things were operational again. Anyone else have less hair over this and maybe some solutions? Bed time. Thanks!! PS - This system has been operating with no issues like this for 8 years. Got the temperature/ventilation question from tech support as did iggy, but these panels are well ventilated as well. Maybe these need some GM ignition switches installed on them?

Last edited by bluenoser337; October 2nd, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:23 PM   #19
bluenoser337
Canada

Update...months later. The original post by leighigh has a great temporary fix that is getting us by until the drives eventually get replaced by another brand. Thanks leighigh !!
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #20
meetvisakh
Saudi Arabia

@bluenoser
Hi. Sorry, didn't get it. are you saying that there is a temporary fix for that? what is it?
Old August 13th, 2017, 05:55 AM   #21
bluenoser337
Canada

Yes meetvisakh...change parameter 36 to 0 (from 5) and press the start button on the keypad. That should bring the communications back to life. Stop the drive and put P036 back to 5. Good luck!!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum