MicroLogix 1400 Network

seaston_65

Hello Everyone,

I was asked to help an Engineer with a project his is currently designing, and just wasnted to double check that my idea would work correctly.

We are looking at having 4 individual machines, each with a MicroLogix 1400 with ethernet all hooked up to a Master PLC which will also control some robots.

It's possible to connect all the PLCs into an ethernet network and send data via the "MSG" commands correct?
Unless I'm missing something all that's needed is some ethernet cable and a router. (setting the proper IP addresses of course)

I just want to double check everything, the manual says:
"You can connect directly a MicroLogix 1400 to an Ethernet network via the Ethernet port (Channel 1"

Thanks,

Shawn

Yes, your idea will work. But instead of a router, I think you mean a Ethernet switch. Use a good industrial switch, not some cheap consumer one. Also how far apart are these machines going to be? A segment length on Ethernet can't be more than 100M.

All you need is an ordinary Ethernet switch, either managed or unmanaged. You would only need a router if you wanted to separate this subsystem from a larger enterprise network.

With ControlLogix and EtherNet/IP I/O modules, you generally want a managed switch. MicroLogix and non-I/O messaging doesn't necessarily need a managed switch unless you need the diagnostic features.

Remember that Ethernet is the physical layer and TCP/IP is the transport. The real compatibility issues all happen at the Application layer, where A-B controllers use their own application protocol to exchange data with one another. Most PLC vendors have their own protocol, and there is a robust industry in protocol bridges and converters.

Read up on the MSG instruction and carefully construct your logic so that it can deal with disconnections and power cycles and message errors. You don't want to flood the controllers with "messaging as fast as I can" traffic.