Flashback!

I vaguely do. Try Googling Automate or AutoMax or Reliance Electric PLC. As best I remember Allen Bradley or Rockwell bought that division from Reliance Electric or maybe not. It also resembles an old SyMax plc but my memory is a bit fuzzy so I could be wrong about that. I'm sure someone has a better memory of the history.

Last edited:
Sorta.... I had a customer with one of those who wanted some changes made about 3 years ago. We decided it just wasn't practical to work on it and replaced it with a modern PLC.

Yikes! Kinda looks like a C-H MPC1 dinosaur, although a lot cleaner than the one I saw last week.

I watched Jurassic Park the other day. Ha!

The MAC and the PLC-4 were released at essentially the same time, with the MAC targeted for stand-alone OEM machines with no need for connectivity or expansion. Both it and the PLC-4 barely survived their initial release year because Koyo released the "brick" PLC concept in Japan and it exploded. That caused A-B to just brand label the Koyo as the SLC-100 (then later the 150) while they shifted gears and started developing what became the SLC-500. Meanwhile the MAC and PLC-4 were allowed to go to seed.

Built a small conveyor release controller out of one. Numbers only programming = ugh!

Interesting... I just found these in an abandoned switchroom at my plant.

IMG_6937.jpg

IMG_6939.jpg

Luckily they're not controlling anything... but still powered and looping their ladder logic away.

Last edited:

From my perspective it is, because it means I don't have to replace a PLC for which I don't have a means of reading the program in it.

Plus, if we ever get an eBay account for the company we'll probably make some money off of it. :) Actually, maybe Rockwell would be interested.

I thought this would jog some memories. Back then, these things were strictly relay replacements. I remember shortly after I installed one of these, we started receiving SLC100's. Again, just a fancier smaller relay replacement. At least that's what I used them for.

My first was a SLC 150 in a mk.1 machine and a 5/02 in mk.2 of the same machine. I upgraded the 5/02 to an 03, the PLC was ok but the DTAM was dead so went for a PV micro 300. The 150's were replaced with a cheap controller as it was my first plc project. I didn't connect to the 150 and pull out the program, instead re-wrote it from scratch by studying the user manual and watching the machine. Relatively new stuff compared to the others in this thread, but then I was born in the same year the 1745-800A self-teach manual was published.