Bowling anyone?

Doug-P

Man describes his homebuilt half-scale pinsetter.

Quite the single handed project. In one of the other videos on this a young poster asked if it would cost more than $100, because he'd like to have one. I'd wager the 80/20 stuff alone easily exceeds that!

I caught a glimpse of the PLC and it looks like one of the A-D products. The HMI I'm pretty sure is A-D.

Man describes his homebuilt half-scale pinsetter.

Quite the single handed project. In one of the other videos on this a young poster asked if it would cost more than $100, because he'd like to have one. I'd wager the 80/20 stuff alone easily exceeds that!

I caught a glimpse of the PLC and it looks like one of the A-D products. The HMI I'm pretty sure is A-D.

Yep, He commented that he was using the CLICK.

I've run across some machines that were built with 80-20. "Could I program them so they didn't shake apart?"
Great for prototypes or guarding but not production. That pinsetter is a great hobby but he is going to be adjusting it forever.

Great for prototypes or guarding but not production. That pinsetter is a great hobby but he is going to be adjusting it forever.

In one of the other vids he mentions that he's looking to patent or license the design.

We had a laser dimension/weighing station built from 80/20. Worked well and strong but, it didn't get any vibration to speak of.

Last edited:
I've run across some machines that were built with 80-20. "Could I program them so they didn't shake apart?"

I have had both, I think if you use the correct T nuts and the correct cross braces they will hold up good, not great but good.... hard to beat 2inch square tubing welded

Doug, Thanks for the video link, wonder how many hours he had into it

Not to hijack the thread, but I have used 80/20 and Bosch aluminum extrusion in the past and a sales guy convinced me to try Robotunits. By far the best extrusion on the market. Anybody who hates drilling holes to create access for a bolt, or having the T-nut spit out and fall from where you need it has to try this stuff out. Same size slot on every profile size as well. Really well thought out stuff.

80/20 and all of that stuff is basically glorified Unistrut. It may be wider, thinner, etc. but is the same concept as Unistrut.

I've built stuff out of Bosch Profile and 90% of machines in work have it. It's very strong, especially the 100x100 / 4" ^2 size! Will have to check out Robotunits....

For some reason every time I see a machine with a frame made out of 80/20 I think the builder was too lazy to cut & weld tubing and do it right.

And usually short-cuts were made to mount the motors, cylinders, etc in the T-slots - where with a solid frame they could be put where they needed to be.

EDIT: I think it is OK for making a quick prototype or mock-up.

Last edited:
80/20 is the big name, like kleenex or band-aid, in the aluminum extrusion space in my part of the world; people talk about 80/20, but they don't necessarily mean 80/20 brand. Sort of like a person from the southeast ordering a Coke and then specifying what kind of Coke they want. I don't ever have to buy the stuff, but I assume 80/20 is one of the cheaper brands given how prolific it is.

I personally prefer Rose+Kreiger, but I haven't used Robounits, which looks promising. Bosch looks great and the end result is sturdy, but getting there is a bit annoying.

Aluminum extrusion is for guarding and tabletop machines. Making actual industrial equipment out of it is bush league.