absolute encoder Vs Sinecosine encoder

friendly_encoder

F
What are differences between a battery backed absolute encoder and an absolute encoder?
Any body heard of hyperface sinecosine encoder, they claim that no battery back up is required for storing the value - is it good compared with battery backed absolute encoder?

Got me confused..the term ABSOLUTE ENCODER usually pertains to an encoder that RETAINS its values/position during power off or on for whatever reason. My understanding was that it read a "disk", kind of like a hard drive, to read position

I AM GUESSING NOW: I guess that battery backup would allow the encoder to REMEMBER LONGER...ie it would retain count/position for longer periods.

Religious beliefs or not...do not give your children to anyone. Many of us believe in GOD, but few of us in this reality are actually "serving" GOD.

This is NOT a debate issue..DO NOT allow your children to be taken by ANYONE, regardless of how good the reason sounds

END of that rant.

Last edited:
Absolute encoders know where they are within one revolution. Many encoders have batteries to turn them into multi-turn absolute encoders. This is useful if you are moving something via a screw and it take several turns to move it.

I haven't heard of the other stuff.

What brought that on, Ron?

Well, there are many ways to skin... I mean, to make an absolute encoder.
One is to have a codewheel (a glass disk etc.) marked with a distinctive pattern for its every position (512, 1024 or however many of them). This way, the readings are known any time within one complete revolution. That's a classical single-turn absolute encoder.

Such an encoder may be fitted fith a small set of gears, a battery and a simple electronics circuit. Now it becomes a multi-turn absolute encoder, capable of knowing its position within many revolutions - as long as the battery is good. These encoders are usually fitted with an input, allowing to zero the reading when closed and an output, going low when the battery is dead ("data valid").

Both these encoders provide the output in parallel format (8, 10, 12 and more outputs) and are more often coded in Gray, rather than binary code (PLC logic must do the conversion, which is simple).

Sometimes, an ordinary incremental encoder (two pulse channels shifted 90 degrees) are fitted with a battery that retains its readings in the motion control module the encoder is connected to (this is common practice in CNC and robot systems). This configuration can also be referred as an "absolute encoder", although, strictly speaking, this is not quite correct.

What you call a "sinecosine" encoder sounds awfully like a good old "resolver" to me. Instead of counting pulses, these devices rely on magnetic field and three-phase windings to output three analog voltages (like a small alternator, kind of). An electronic board the resolver is connected to, can measure these voltages at any given instant of time and to calculate true position based on that. So this type of device will also give you the position readout within a single turn (if not geared).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

In the drive world, an encoder that has two pulse trains 90 degrees offset from each other is known as a quadrature encoder.

We use it to detect direction of rotation as well as rotation rate. For those unfamiliar with this, in one direction pulse train A leads pulse train B by 90 degrees and in the other direction A trails B by the same amount.