Purged panel & pushbuttons

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
A bit off topic, but I'm sure this esteemed thread will have some answers. I'm having a debate with our engimneering group on what push buttons to use on a purged panel in a class 1 div 2 area. The purge I think is a Z purge (alarm only). I contend a stanadard pushbutton is OK, engineering says I have to use explosion proof. What say you?

From a purely technical viewpoint, you are both wrong. If engineering says "explosion proof" is required, no, the most severe case would be pushbuttons rated for Class 1 Division 2, not "explosion-proof" (whatever that means). Note that many pushbuttons that you may call "standard" (whatever that means) such as the Square D Class 9001 Type K, SK, or KX are qualified to be used in a Class 1 Division 2 area.

If I will be working in the area, then I would use pushbuttons that have a Class 1 Division 2 rating. One the other hand, if the engineering guys are going to be the only ones working out there around the purged panel, then I would just use any old switch off the shelf. :ROFLMAO:

The definition of a Type Z purge makes a Class 1 Div. 2 area non-hazardous. So if it's realy a type Z purge, so should be able to use standard pushbuttons in the panel.

I can buy a standard pushbutton at Walmart for a doorbell button, but I don't think that would work too well. "Standard" doesn't mean anything. Standard for what, whom, and where? The best bet is to specify a brand and type, then you know something about the pushbuttons.

If you work in one plant that uses only one type of button, then maybe you can call it a plant standard. But that standard button might be rejected by another plant next door - it could use a completely different "standard" pushbutton.

I suppose this comes from working for a contractor in too many different plants with too many different standards that each one thinks is the cat's meow.

Last edited:
if the engineering guys are going to be the only ones working out there around the purged panel, then I would just use any old switch off the shelf
Lancie, did not you were such a big fan of engineers!!

Bruce, I were one, after being a farm hand, a busboy, a sewing machine mechanic, electrician, and a few other things for short periods (logger, heavy equipment operator, technical writer), so should be allowed to poke fun at that group "as a hole".

Last edited: