Transducer Shopping

PLC Pie Guy

Hey All.
I have an opportunity to do a small monitoring project for a gentleman with 8, 25 foot (approx.) tall liquid vessels. Given the specific gravity and the height of the tanks I'm looking at about an 11 PSI value at full height.
Issue is, the guy really will only proceed if I can keep costs low. Way low. He is just starting out. Its all good with the components until I get to the transducer part. A decent instrument runs about 900$ Canadian + tax + shipping costs puts this little project just out of his reach.
I do prefer a sanitary fitted pressure transducer mounted in the bottom of the tank but so far it seems expensive...

Looking at ebay for decent priced stuff but then Ill end up with 8 different instruments!

Where have any of you found "cheaper" sensors, or perhaps cheaper ways of monitoring level / vessel fill?

I'm not whining about cost here, simply trying to land this little project, close to home as well! I'm doing it for almost nothing just to get in the facility. I just know he won't do it unless its low cost at this point in time. Currently, he has people climb the catwalk and look in the tanks, not bad now but brutal in February.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
Does he really need a continuous monitoring of the level or may be just discreet points of level will do for the application ? if the latter solution suffice, you could utilize a cheaper magnet float driving contacts installed at intervals along the height of the vessel.

azetou

Omega has some. They also have ultrasonic level sensors a little cheaper. Not sure why you have to go sanitary fittings but you could get an Automation Direct threaded pressure Xmtr for $125 US.

I like everything to be sanitary fittings, for easy install and removal... Plus, there is already a 2" sanitary fitting on the bottom these vessels that is just capped now.
I'm going to look at the Omega Line as suggested, will require an NPT fitting be installed on each vessel though. Perhaps I can somehow get that fitting welded in to a sanitary cap..... Hmmmm.

Thanks for the suggestions

They actually have a nice Stainless transducer there with a ceramic tip that is only 125$!!!! USD of course but that is still much cheaper than anything else I have looked at.

Might have a chance with this one!.

Thanks!

A Tank monitoring system can be done with a simple compressor and a few airvalves going to each tank. So you will also only need one sensor, giving only one calibration etc.
To get really cheap have a look at arduino they can use very cheap airsensors, and the processor is only costing 5 $

A Tank monitoring system can be done with a simple compressor and a few airvalves going to each tank. So you will also only need one sensor, giving only one calibration etc.
To get really cheap have a look at arduino they can use very cheap airsensors, and the processor is only costing 5 $

This sounds interesting.
Forgive my ignorance but what is the compressor for?? You pressurize each vessel? Please elaborate!
I understand running a line to the belly of each vessel and simply valve in the one you want to get pressure measurement on... wish I would have though of that! (y)

But why the compressor??

Thanks

I agree "Automation Direct" 30 psi pressure sensor at $125.00 very accurate and simple to install, calibrate, service. (0-10v or 4-20ma). You probably won't be able to purchase an 11psi so you would have to use the 30psi just make sure you have your scale setup correct.