Panel Builder32 - Control aTimer in a PLC?

POWER_PACKED

Hi everyone - I am developing a new screen for a sprinkler system that we are going to install. I am using PB32 to develop the screens and I was wondering if it is possible to control a timer in the PLC "RSLogic500" through the PV. I wish to be able to change the preset value of a timer on the fly instead of actually going into the PLC and changing it. Currently I am playing with the INC/DEC Cursor Point control in the PB32 trying to come up with a way to do it. I tried to use index addressing to try and achieve that and unfortunately was not able to do it since the preset value of a timer has to be an integer and can't be index addressed in the form of [Nx:x], any ideas on how to achieve that? Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Yasir Anwar :eek: ;)

This assumes you have a touch screen

I think you could use the numeric entry keypad that ref. a tag for the timer-preset value.

If your using timer T4:0 your tag address would be T4:0.PRE and this would be ref. in the key pad write tag.

Hope this helps,

Bob O.

I would recommend that you write to an integer from the panelview and then copy it to the timer preset in the PLC/SLC. This way, you can keep your tags organized. (This is the necessary way if you're using RIO comm.) Also, you should make sure that the value written to the timer PREset cannot be a negative value. I do this both in the PLC and the PB32 tag setup. If a negative value is entered in the timer preset or accumulator, the Processor will fault when the rung containing the timer instruction is true.

paul c

Close but not close enough.....

Thank you for the speedy reply, I created a numeric entry keypad, My write tag is pointing to N7:44, In the PLC I am verifying that the entered value is logical for the application. I am using T4:0 as my timer, My problem is that I can't set T4:0.pre to equal N7:44, It won't allow me to enter a value other than an integer in the Timer Preset field using RSLogix 500.

Forgive my ignorance. Thank you again.

Yasir Anwar

Just thought I might mention this...

"In the PLC I am verifying that the entered value is logical for the application."

Your tag has data entry limits. Min/Max You could set these if appropriate and maybe save some programing in the PLC.

Bob O.

Block Transfer For Read/Write in PB32

Thank you guys for your help - Just a follow up question on the initial post. I created the PV screen and was able to compile it and download it to the terminal successfully. Yet when I was hitting my numeric box to key in a value, I was getting "Error 208 unable to write to remote device" The numeric input Tag settings are:
Write Tag: This goes to N7:38 which is moved to Tx:x.pre
Display Tag: This comes from N7:33 Which is = to Tx:x.pre

My block Transfers are as follows before me making any changes:
Enabled Address Mode Length

1 Checked N7:0 W 32

Pass-through Checked BT Time out set at 0

When I made the changes I modified the following

Enabled Address Mode Length

1 Checked N7:0 W 38

2 Checked N7:38 R 41

Pass-through Checked BT Time out set at 0

What happened next was none of the Integer transfers was working, and was not getting ANY of the integers to display. I know I screwed up but not sure where! Is there certain rules for setting up BT? I read the help file and it says they can Read and write can overlap and they have to be of a unique length. That’s all. Is there something that I have to change in the N7 File in the Rslogix5? The file size is N7:00-N7:48.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you Yet again.

Yasir Anwar

This might sound dumb, but I thought of that, and when I went to look in the currently existing logic, I couldn't find any Block Transfers at all!!!! Is it possible, or its just my imagination?

;)

When I do this I just have the read and write tags the same and I haven't ever needed any block transfers. I just have the tag tied to an integer register, and as described above MOV the preset to the timer.