I know this is not a Mechanical Forum, but you guys success with Air Knives ?

Cydog

Good Afternoon ,

I know this is not a mechanical forum , but have you guys had success with Air Knives. We need to make one really powerful . Are their any particular secrets that you can share , such as air pressure , shim size , Air supplied on both ends , etc. ? A co-worker already purchased a ExAir Air Knife. I just want to gather some information so I can give him suggestions .

Thanks so much ,

I have seen them in the past.

several questions MUST be answered.

1. what it the weight of each?
2. what are you blowing the particles into and do you need a safety barrier and warning area?
3. what happens if someone gets hit by the particles?
4. what happened if all the particles are not blown out of the die?
5. what happens if the particles are sandwiched between the die plates?

I worked in a shop that did this and it was massive, big security barrier and safety wall. Automatic termination for starting the machine when someone was in the danger zone, also if you walked into the danger zone when running.

james

They are pretty straight forward and after you play with them you can do just about anything, most important thing is having clean dry air, hard to do here in the south, we had to install several dryers because of condensation

Have used air knives often but with any blowoff, the effects quickly diminish as the distance between the orifice and the object increases. The best performance for drying off is when you can oscillate it, such as being mounter to a crank arm being driven by a small motor; think of those tower style fans that you can buy for your home. The turbulence really helps. I'm usually trying to dry off parts before entering a leak tester and anyone that has leak tested will tell you, wet parts are a big no-no.
KZzFOJd164VK-gLONV9pPtlP7WPGXbot-8s91QrvlVvVfQ7uy1Y_p7AXtPpjGkshoIJtJ8GHku008c0MKLzlmFfGwdfmXleXNdOVUUUO2oqP-mVuPIauZQC1bT5Nm2R8XXOQ0hipDj-GIbxgIAqodFPNjIkJtYTxExE2vUln6Co5VJjugis=s1000-pd-e365-pc0xffffff

We use them sometimes to do a quick drip dry or blowing chips off of machined parts coming out of a machine. We do it in the machine work zone so the coolant and chips can stay enclosed. Depending on the size you may want to calculate the flow rate if you have other items on the same pneumatic circuit/drop. We try to keep the duration short under 5 sec or so.

What size dies? How big are the particles? How often do you need to clean the dies?

Air knives 'might' work, but the how your die is constructed has a lot of effect on the potential success or failure.