Ethernet Objects - Rs Logix 5000

b.bartel

Greetings All,

I am working on a project to monitor my new AC units via Ethernet IP.

Currently, the Pentair (Hoffman) AC unit with a remote access controller with Ethernet IP capability allows me to read/write temps and alarm settings via Hoffman software package.

I am hoping to be able to monitor the temp and alarm status in my PLC to allow me to send alarms to maintenance if the enclosure is getting too hot.

The AC Unit came with an Ethernet IP Object list of I/O & alarm flags. I am unfamiliar with how to use these objects or how to setup my RS Logix 5000 program to read these objects from the AC unit.

If anyone could walk me through the process or point me to some literature that would help explain how to set up this communication path I would be greatly appreciative.

Please let me know what other information you need from me to help.

Thank you.

I will assume you are referring to CIP objects with class, instance, attribute, etc. In that case, it is helpful to understand a bit about object centric nature of CIP (Ethernet/IP). You can read some explanations of it here:

http://advancedhmi.com/documentatio...ric_Ethernet/IP_and_CIP_Technical_Information

If you can post any of the documentation of your device, I may be able to give you a specific example.

Ethernet IP Objects - Rs Logix 5000 - Pentair (Hoffman) Remote Access Contoller

Thank you for the links, I am starting to get a better understanding of the different options available but I still am unclear as far as what needs to be done.

The Pentair (Hoffman) Remote Access Controller does come with an AOP (add on profile). Which I have downloaded and installed the exe. file. Once the install was complete it informed me that " either every version on this media has been installed or would be a downgreade of a version already installed".

I am not sure what that means as far as affecting the ability to use the AOP. I have never used and AOP so I would appreciate any direction to confirm that as well.

Hoffman - S101526G060
Remote Access Controller Manual

Ethernet IP Objects are attached.

Attempting to access the Input, Output & AlarmFlags via 1756-L61.

Do I have to program MSG instructions in my logic to use these Ethernet IP Objects?

Let me know if I can provide any other infromation to help you help me. :)

Based on the Ethernet/IP objects PDF, it looks like the device can be added to the IO tree in RSLogix by adding a Generic Ethernet/IP device and using the parameters in the lower right. You can then map the information from the array of 64 bytes to other tags to get the information you want.

You don't need to Explicit Message once the AOP is installed.
The Pentair module will be available to be added to the RSL5K Project I/O tree as any other Allen-Bradley modules.
Once added to the project (RPI > 100ms!), you will find the Pentair module Input and Output assemblies within the RSL5K tag database.