Cutler Hammer D-50 software

DSMCNC

I have read some posts about the now discontinued CH D50 PLC.
I have lots of experience with this processor and I have two versions of PLC code with which to program it.
Both versions require a DOS machine to send the code to the PLC but for programming the software will run in a DOS shell under Windows XP and earlier Windows releases. To transmit the code you need a DOS machine as Windows' constant polling of interrupts will disconnect the RS232 for enough millisecs to crash the comm port.
If you need the software to talk to this PLC please PM me and I'll use a free FTP to send the zip file to you.
I can also walk you through if you need help.
Merry Christmas
Dave

Dave: I have customers still with the D50. My problem is i blew up my (real c-h) 232/485 adapter. So I have spent hours trying to find the pin-out of the D50 RS485, to use a generic converter. (cuz I don't want to blow anything else up). You got any data or advice? Thanks Mike

Dave: I have customers still with the D50. My problem is i blew up my (real c-h) 232/485 adapter. So I have spent hours trying to find the pin-out of the D50 RS485, to use a generic converter. (cuz I don't want to blow anything else up). You got any data or advice? Thanks Mike
I'm not Dave but if you need the information, I have a cable and adapter that I can take apart to trace the pinouts. However, if you also have a real CH adapter, you could do the same thing by taking your adapter apart.

Oh, yeah. I was up till 4am with it. Turns out the rs485 output chip has a little black bubble on it. (fried) I plugged it into a plc with a bad power supply? You can only see part of the numbers now: Top row "?25BF" 2nd row "??S751" 3rd row "?6BM". I'd replace it but I can not find it or cross it.

Oh, yeah. I was up till 4am with it. Turns out the rs485 output chip has a little black bubble on it. (fried) I plugged it into a plc with a bad power supply? You can only see part of the numbers now: Top row "?25BF" 2nd row "??S751" 3rd row "?6BM". I'd replace it but I can not find it or cross it.
On my adapter on one side, there is an 8 pin chip with a similar middle row number. Here are the numbers by row on that chip. Top row = 174AR (the 1 & 7 are very faded and might not be right) Middle Row = DS751 Bottom Row = 76BM

There are two chips on the other side.

There is a 14 pin chip and its numbers are: Top Row = 7E26, Bottom Row = HC04
There is a 16 pin chip and its numbers are: Top Row =232CBE, Bottom Row = N9718CACE.

Last edited:
C-h d50

GREAT! I found the data, got the pin out. Found out (with your help) they used 6,7 and 9 (ground). I made the necessary adapter cable and used a generic 485 adapter to set up com. Worked great! NOTHING is more frustrating, than not being able to set up com with a plc, or a drive. :mad: Obrigado Meu Amigo!

Plese post the generic solution for others that may find this thread when you have time.

and if you could guide me on how to make the connection of the programming cable from the converter rs232 to rs485 to the plc, which pins connect to + V -V CH CL D? .. thanks in advance

Mike,
I am struggling with getting a cable and rs 485 adapter to work with this D50 plc. Can you give more details on the cable for this? In your previous post you said 6,7 & 9 for gnd. and a generic rs 232-485 adapter.
Arnie

too many answers not sure which one is right.

after searching this forum and archive I have found at least 5 answers to the programming cable for the cutler hammer D50 plc.

they vary from a simple null modem swapping pins 2 & 3, with jumpers on the 4&7 male side (PLC) and 4,8 female side (PC), not sure if the 4&7, or the 4&8 connect across the cable from one side to the other.

straight thru cable

straight thru cable with diode on 6&4 pins

6&7 with 9 ground

then another one

comp plc
side side
fm male
1..... 1
2------2
3------3
[
6------6
5------5
7------7
[
9------9
4&6, 7&8 shown jumpered together on respective side
.....no connection
Two answers say they took the cable apart but they don't concur on the results posted.

any help would be most appreciated

Arnie