5069-L306ERS2 versus 5069-SERIAL A FW 1.011 not working

Hi,
Our L306ERS2 PLC controls a 5069-SERIAL A FW 1.011 programmed with Studio 5000 V32.11. When receiving data the module's diagnostic shows the amount of data received but received data is nowhere stored into the controller tags also the ASCII.RxID stays at zero.
Who can help?

Can you post what your current module settings and read logic are?

While I don't have any personal experience with the module in question, a quick look at the manual suggests you should take a look at the handshake mode and verify your logic is incrementing the ASCII.RXID output tag:

Master/Slave (default) - User logic must increment the ASCII.RxID output tag to receive the next packet of data into the ASCII.RxData input tag

Master/Slave Handshake Mode
The serial port works in a handshake mode using the following steps.
1. The serial module receives the packet.
2. If any of the following conditions occur, the serial module creates a record.
a. The Message Timeout timer expires.
b. The number of received bytes equals the configured Read Buffer Size.
c. Termination Delimiter bytes were received.
3. The record is added into the RxBuffer.
4. Once the RxID (Consume Tag) is incremented by the user logic, the serial
module takes the oldest record from RxBuffer, copies the data into the
ASCII.RxData input tag, copies the number of characters that are received
into the ASCII.RxDataLength input tag, and sends it to the controller.

Rockwell has a "Notice of Potential Product Concern" on this module. If you have an account with Rockwell do a search for "Product Notice 201912001". If you don't have an account with Rockwell (which are free to access basic levels of the knowledge base) contact you AB distributor.

Basically some of the modules got out with the wrong firmware in them. When Rockwell first released this information the only fix was to return the module however now it requires a field upgrade.

If you don't have a Rockwell account I'd recommend getting one. The basic account doesn't require any fees and you can get everything you need to figure out if the module you have is part of the product notice and if so you will have access to the tools needed to fix it.

Hi,

I use the module in the No-Handshake mode and the problem was that the RxID did not increment.
I do have a rockwell account and today I had a 2 hour conversation with their support center. (as yesterday also 2 hours...) They took over my PC so we could work together on the problem. It is a matter of correct configuration of the module. The product was also fairly new to them. I had spent many days getting another PLC L16ER work together with the fairly old Point-IO 1734-485ASC module resulting in unstable behaviour of the transmitter in the way we would use it with receiving different string lengths. They knew about this (firmware/hardware) problem the way we would use it so our company decided to select another PLC being the 5069-L306ERS2 with the 5069-SERIAL. As I did not manage to make the reception get working and even the example program in the user manual failed and as they redrew some units with firmware version V2.011 versus the lates V1.012 (Firejo mentioned) I got suspicious thinking about another unstable product. But finally it turned out it does work, not exactly the way we want to use it but I will go find out that tomorrow if it can do the job. Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Hi Henk van Winkoop,
I am having the same problem with the RxID not incrementing. I have been able to transmit data and it says it's receiving data but nothing is showing up. Can you share your solution?