CCW "Upload" and "Download" buttons greyed out

PLC2019

Hi,

I had CCW installed on another computer but my co-worker took it home and now he's been quarantined due to COVID symptoms and can't get the computer back to me.

As a work around, I've gone and installed CCW version 11 onto another machine. I can open my project in that installation and I can connect to the PLC over USB, but I can't download my project to the Micro850 because the download button stays greyed out. The upload button is also greyed out. (I know it is connected because I can set the PLC to "Program" or "Run" mode from the CCW IDE.)

Is there a step that I've missed? I looked for a readme file in the installer package and I searched around in the manual. I even tried rebuilding my project, disconnecting, reconnecting, everything.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Use RSLinx to connect to the processor and see what version it is. If its version 12 you won't be able to program it with CCW 11

Well, I tried using RSLinx to connect to the Micro850. I would only connect briefly.

I then foolishly thought I'd just uninstall CCW and then re-install it but that hasn't gone well... The CCW "We'll take it from here" dialog got stuck at 69% for several hours before Windows complained that the uninstaller wasn't responding.

I killed the non responding uninstaller and now I can't get it to install or uninstall CCW. The "We'll take it from here" installer gets stuck at 24% (it says that it is installing FactoryTalk Activation Manager).

While waiting, I found another thread on this forum that advised re-imaging the machine with a new OS if CCW installer/uninstaller gets screwed up. That seems a bit extreme but there was some discussion in that thread about installing CCW in a virtual machine so that you can just start with a fresh image if need be. That seems less extreme, but still points to some serious problems with the design of Rockwell's junky IDE... User experience much?

Anyhow, before I set about looking for another laptop to install CCW onto, is there a way to clean out an old CCW installation that doesn't involve re-imaging the whole OS and doesn't require running their uninstaller from the Windows "Add or remove programs" dialog (because that uninstaller gets stuck)?

If a program isn't fully uninstalled there can be remnants that interfere with reinstalling.

Microsoft has an uninstaller that digs deep and finds more items.

I couldn't find the MS link so here it is on OneDrive

Try that & then try reinstalling, and save this in your Downloads because I have used it more than once.

Last edited: