Stupid Question

fedora

Well I use Fedora, because I kinda hate windows, but all the siemens software runs under windows, so I use Both,

I'm curieus if there are other peoples like me ?

Linux user for over 8 years now. Wrote several open source programs, including software for accessing Allen Bradley PLC's via Linux. I have used Slackware Linux exclusively for that time.

Ron, you are too modest.

Hey guys, this is the guy that wrote ABEL and CEL. I have many customers that have used Ron's AB ethernet libraries to interface PCs to AB PLCs and to our motion controllers. Although I have not used Ron's libraries, I know that the availability of Ron's ethernet libraries has made integrating our controller with Rockwell PLCs much easier and cheaper which has meant more money for me and less support.
Ron is now the forum ethernet guru. Ron, thanks for making your libraries available. I hope Ron got some royalties for all those copies of of ABEL and CEL in use.

I use Mandrake linux since 3 years.
Unfortunally Rockwell software runs only on windows, so i've both OS.
We use Debian Linux on our servers too.
(I have also an Ipcop system at home to share and protect my internet connection with my soon.)

Last edited:
Peter:

You are too kind!

Yes, I am the author of CELL and ABEL. It's always good to know that someone is using my stuff in a useful way!

As for royalties, I can't say that I have been made rich by my activities, but I have made a couple of dollars from CELL. Sure, money is nice, but my primary drive is recognition. I think I have achieved my goals here - even AB themself have pointed people to my libraries.

Anyhow, glad to be here and I hope I can contribute in some meaningful way...

Linux user

I've been a linux user for a little over a year - use it exclusively at home (mandrake and suse), but am forced to use a different operating system at work, since PLC programming software (Allen Bradley and Siemens mostly) is unavailable for linux.

RON:
Are you still actively working on PCMK support under linux? I would *love* to be able to do PLC work from the linux partition that I installed on my work laptop (shhh... don't tell the IT folks)

At home I use RedHat for the desktop box and Slackware for serving.

At work we use Slackware for lots of tasks that nothing else will do easily. It's a swiss-army-knife distribution that is very simple and stable.

linux ;)

Here I have used Suse for The caching Proxy but now use Red Hat Gnome desktop with Squid. I have two desktops running Red Hat also.
As a Proxy, Firewall, Squid is hard to beat.

Bruce

Another point, since the majority of PLC programming software uses windows, has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with using something like wine on linux with PLC programming software?

Also, does anyone know of any PLC programming software for Linux?
I know concept (modicon) was rumored to be having a linux version in development (memory only, I could have been mistaken)
Siemens logo has a linux programmer, although this is only a smart relay, not a PLC.

Doug

Doug_Adam said:
Also, does anyone know of any PLC programming software for Linux?
I know concept (modicon) was rumored to be having a linux version in development (memory only, I could have been mistaken)
Siemens logo has a linux programmer, although this is only a smart relay, not a PLC.

Doug

I don't know of any, and I have serious doubts about WINE's ability to run commercial PLC programming software (haven't tried - would love to be proven wrong) The windows based software that I've used is so tightly integrated into windows that it's bound to break something under WINE - especially if you plan on connecting via a propriatary method (PCMK, PIC, etc...) If anything is going to work it may be some of the older dos-based programs, through a standard RS-232 connection to a RS-232 equipped PLC. Again - haven't tried - don't let my opinion keep you from giving it a shot (let us know what you find).
Also, somebody above posted a link (http://plc.sourceforge.net/) that had some links to all sorts of various open-source plc-related projects. There were a couple programming programs - but it looked like they were only meant to program a computer to imitate a plc (I/O via parallel port or otherwise) that was running the associated software.