OT Too many posts?

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
Am I replying to too many topics? Are my replies informative or a waste of mine and your time?

As many of you know I am attending the University of Alabama in an attempt to obtain an Engineering degree. I am also in the process of re-modeling/rebuilding my old house, on a day to day basis I am either online researching, studying, working on the house and work at times.

I have such a diverse work background that I know how to do many things but never developed a real specialty. The one area I am very under-developed is Writing/Speech, I have learned the only way to develop writing skills is by writing. I attempt, on this forum, to write on subjects that I am familiar with and provide information and assistance when I can.

I was wondering what some of you think, are my posts too long, lack good information, poorly written, too sarcastic or disagreeable?

I am not trying to create an argument or seeking acknowledgement but more of constructive criticism to work on the areas that are flawed. If there are/is area(s) that I appear to be strong I would appreciate knowing that too.

Please, be honest and professional and let me know what you think.

Ron:

I have always found your posts to be extremely informative. You have obviously gained a lot of practical experience, and you are more than willing to share this experience with others.

I believe that when you are explaining a complex topic to a person you've never met (most likely), and cannot see, then you are right on track to be as precise and provide as much information as is necessary to answer the question. Because you can't tell by a person's body language whether they already know what you are explaining, more is better than less. In any case, if you provide information that someone already knows, it's easy to skip over the information.

In short, keep posting as is!
Rick

Ron,
I work in a printing company in the Mpls&St.Paul area.I have worked in printing my entire life and I am responsible for the electrical maint. and troubleshooting in out company and have much to learn. I read your posts with much interest as it seems that you have a great amount of knowledge about printing (unwind,rewinding tension,and so forth). I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

You have been quite informative in my opinion also.
Keep up the good work.
I, too have come from various backgrounds, and have landed the PLC-type position. (I did take PLC-3 and PLC-5) in college years ago. Beleive it or not, I went into the Marine Industry when the crash hit in the early 90's. I learned hydraulics, fiberglass and other completely unrelated work information, but in the whole picture helps me survive in life.
I am glad to hear that there are others that are of similar backgrounds.

Do what you got'a do and stop asking for a reassuring voices telling you that all is OK.

What I really wounder is how with all the knowledge and accomplishment you have can you still be waiting for a pat in the back.

When you will have your diploma you might not have anybody but yourself to take charge. To say NO. To judge a situation.

If its not enough then use this.

What's up Ron? Do not tell me your thinking of jumping ship.

Who would be next, Ken Roach, Ron Beaufort, Eric Nelson, Ken M., Peter Natcheway, Elevmike, RMA, Terry Woods, (this list could go on for quite a while) man I can not tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you guys do what you do.

I have only been an electrician for 4-1/2 years and I hope to someday be able to contribute as much as some of you do. One of the reasons I have gotten to the level I am at, is because of the knowledge that can be gleaned from this site. For this forum we owe gratitude to MR. PHIL MELORE. But it is persons such as yourself who keep it worth while and the diversity of how to solve problems in different and unique ways.

I do not mean this as a pat-on-the-back as much as a "What the heck are you thinking?"

If this is not fun for you anymore, then take a vacation, and come back to see if you missed it.

I realize you probably do not put any value into my opinion, as I am one of those who sets backs and observes for I can not offer the knowledge you people have.

If you got it use, or do not whine when you lose it.

Priorities! It depends on what you want.

You should spend more time on your math if you want your EE degree. I would also get a math package like Matlab or Mathcad and learn to use them. There should be student versions available.

There is only so much time in a day and the days get 'shorter' as life goes on.

Ron I think your posts (or at least the ones I've read) have been VERY good to date.

I'm a bit surprised at your self-evaluation of being weak in writing skills as I have not seen any indication of that here. In saying that I'll admit that my weak area is the same (verbal/writing). I also find the more I write the more I improve my writing; the more presentations, speeches, sales pitches, etc I do the better my verbal skills become.

Keep up the good work; I've learned quite a lot reading your posts.

Quit worrying so much and just keep passing along information you feel will help the situation. There will always be one or two that do not agree or feel challenged. That is just part of life.

Your writing skills are above average at the least. Your explainations are concise and easy to follow.

I recommend you stay the course, you are and will do just fine.

Ron,

While we do need people with degrees, it seems to mean alot to me when it comes from someone who has the hands on experience. Usually from pulling an all nighter on a holiday weekend. We hope you are able to keep sharing your knowledge.

George

Ron, keep up the good work.

But more than anything, I would say you need to get yourself one of these:

Pat_on_the_back_apparatus.gif

🍺