OT: Labelling & marking printers

wildswing

Hey fellas,

Have any of you worked with labeling and marking printers? We made MDF and currently us a Willett 460 CIJ type printer to print a string of text on the edge of the panel. The printer is long overdue for the bone yard and I need to find a replacement.

What are other's using; CIJ, DOD or the new Piezo type?

Related question: Is your setup stand alone? How do you change the printed message? My existing setup uses a 3rd party VB app to send the text string from Wonderware Intouch to the printer via the serial port. The venders I've talked to get the "deer in the headlights" look when I talk about such connectivity. I don't want to go backwards and have the operators type in the text on a proprietary keyboard.

wildswing said:
Related question: Is your setup stand alone? How do you change the printed message? My existing setup uses a 3rd party VB app to send the text string from Wonderware Intouch to the printer via the serial port. The venders I've talked to get the "deer in the headlights" look when I talk about such connectivity. I don't want to go backwards and have the operators type in the text on a proprietary keyboard.

Hi,

We've done quite a few printer applications with InTouch using both inkjet and laser technology using mostly Domino supplied printers.

We control the print entirely from within InTouch using scripts/QuickFunctions and have used both serial and Ethernet physical connections successfully via Software Toolbox's OMNIServer (excellent product).

Kevin H

Last edited:
we have several Lynx Inkjet printers on site.But due to the conditions find lots of problems with heads blocking and needing cleaning.
If your workplace is dusty or has variable temperature changes, then I would ask for a decent trial by any supplier of new inkjets.
Also you may need to consider the use of solvents etc in your workplace.Which most inkjet systems use.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Yes, I'm aware of the dust issue. Being a wood products facility we do see some dust, but not nearly as bad as it could be. We do a pretty good job of keeping fugitive dust to a minimum. Continuous Ink Jet (CIJ) type printers tend to be the best in such environments.

The new piezo technology does not like dust.

Does anyone have any experience with the Leibinger Jet 2?

We use Brady handheld units; one series prints using a small dot-matrix head on form-fed type sleeves; a newer unit we have prints out on white/clear tape--the clear part wraps back around to protect the printed portion (self-laminating).

Both are a bit troublesome to maintain, rechargeable batteries, replacement labels and the likes. Some of our guys also use a write-on style of self-lam tape label, and our Motor Inspectors prefer the older Grafoplast system, which uses plastic beads and clear heat-shrink.

The idea of the self-lam tape on sheets big enough to go through a laser-jet printer is probably the best, but obviously is not portable.

Thanks for the reply pw3, but that's not what I'm looking for. I should have been more specific. My application isn't wire marking and labelling. We're printing production info on the edge of a finished MDF panel.

I've used ink jets from Domino, Video Jet, and most recently Imaje for basically the same thing. To be quite frank they are all a maintenance PITA, but what do you do?

Currently we sql a print string from Oracle into an Intouch HMI and send that via ASCII out the serial port to the Imaje and it works fine. The sales people you are talking to are just that, sales people, they probably don't know much. I'm sure all of the manufactuers printers are capable of this and it must be somewhat common as I have worked for 2 companies that have done basicly the same thing.

My favourite of the bunch has been Video Jet. The key to all of these printers is to shut them down and start them up properly, if you don't it will be a nightmare.

allscott said:
The key to all of these printers is to shut them down and start them up properly, if you don't it will be a nightmare.
I hear ya. Our Willetts are the same way. One reason I ask about the Leibinger is that it's head uses a moving gutter so when you shut it down or if it's idle for a time, the gutter moves into the print head to close the loop.

willett and video jet are now the same company just as interest
We use two Videojet high res excell printers (36 micron nozzle) they have a positive air flow that is supposed to keep dust out but like all people say keep them clean they work good,let service schedules lapse then problems start. Oh and to get over the stop start problem we leave thenm circulating.
We also now use lasers in marking plastics but the biuggets issues here are guarding and fume extraction so with MDF i would say probably a no no to them.
Steve B

I vote for Videojet...

We use Videojet printers to code small aluminium food containers. When maintained correctly they are extremely reliable; I estimate we probably print somewhere around twenty million containers per week here using a handful of printers without too many issues. I agree that start-up and shut-down routines MUST be strictly adhered to though!

You can, as another poster stated, have Positive Air pressure in the printhead to keep out contaminents. The new UHS printers also have automatic line flushing capabilities to assist with uptime. The message to be printed can be electronically updated via a com port.

Vidojet techies and reps. would be more than happy to assist with putting together a spec. for your application. Their support network in the UK (and training courses for that matter) are good.

Good luck....

I atually used to work for Videojet and I can honestly say they had some well made printers. One poster mentioned that Willet and VJ are the same company but VJ still sells Willets. I would stay away from those if I were you. The best printer they had imo was their Excel W/O the self cleaning option. The self cleaning has problems I won't go into and you will be cleaning it no matter what the salesman says. Just ask for an Excel 2000, that that will easily accomplish what you are trying to do and give the least grief.

wildswing said:
Hey fellas,

Have any of you worked with labeling and marking printers? We made MDF and currently us a Willett 460 CIJ type printer to print a string of text on the edge of the panel. The printer is long overdue for the bone yard and I need to find a replacement.

What are other's using; CIJ, DOD or the new Piezo type?

I know I'm reserecting a dead thread here, but if you're still looking to revive that Willett I might have a solution for you. I work for a company that does service, supplies parts and fluids for a huge range of CIJ and DOD printers. We even have some Hi Res stuff and offer HP technology equipment.

If anyone is looking for inkjet solutions as far as new/used equipment, services or fluids let me know.

As far as connectivity there aren't too many manufacturers out there that make printers that interface with PCs better than Videojet Systems Intl. I sell into a ton of thier PC70s which is to my knowledge just an Excell model that interfaces through your computer.

Thanks for the relpy Chuck. I'll keep that in mind. Right now, the economic slowdown has me holding on to the old unit a little longer. When the times comes, I'll be sure to look you up.

Yea the economy is hitting everyone, heck that's why I'm patroling forum boards for leads. LOL I guess you have to get creative when times are tough...

I know your in Cananda, but we have reps that work International so I could make sure you got what you needed. Good luck to you.

888-810-2410

Required some details how you done intouch data in ASCII to Domino Printer

Hi,

We've done quite a few printer applications with InTouch using both inkjet and laser technology using mostly Domino supplied printers.

We control the print entirely from within InTouch using scripts/QuickFunctions and have used both serial and Ethernet physical connections successfully via Software Toolbox's OMNIServer (excellent product).

Kevin H

Required some details how you done intouch data in ASCII to Domino Printer
through Omni Server..
i want to get procedure/code for doint it..please reply