OT: Talk about basic skills!!!

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
Browsing around various sections in this fantastic site, I stumbled upon a job offer. In french we just say Tabarnac.

They write ...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]...No relocation package is available, so the successful candidate must either be in the region or be willing to move to the area. Del Monte Foods is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Visit our website for additional company information at ??????????. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS • Responsible for analyzing and resolving electrical problems, troubleshooting and continuous improvement on analog/digital electronic control systems. • PLC programming, HMI/SCADA Systems and computer network communications. • Must possess strong understanding of motor control and automated control circuits. • Computer skill requirements include: Basic MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access and MS PowerPoint. • Must possess practical knowledge of HMI, SCADA and computer network communication systems. • Familiar with VBA. • Familiar with Ethernet Networking and Industrial Protocols. • Ability to work well in a team environment. . QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS • 2-3 years of mechanical and electrical or control system training preferred. • 3-5 years experience working with automation equipment and programmable controllers preferred. • Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. • Must be able to work with mathematical concepts such as statistical inference, fundamentals of fractions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Has the ability to work with basic algebra and geometry.[/size][/font]

So guys, after having learned to program or troubleshoot SCADA package and Network protocols and all that other simple stuff you need to know to just make it fit all togheter ... you better refresh you Powerpoint skills...

Holy $hit how dumb is the world becomming?

Last edited:
pi-r-squared. Am I hired? It's obvious that the HR genius that wrote that was shotgunning it. I doubt they really expect to hire McGyver without a relocation package.

Pierre said:
Browsing around various sections in this fantastic site, I stumbled upon a job offer. In french we just say Tabarnac.

They write ...

So guys, after having learned to program or troubleshoot SCADA package and Network protocols and all that other simple stuff you need to know to just make it fit all togheter ... you better refresh you Powerpoint skills...

Holy $hit how dumb is the world becomming?

I teach at a local secondary trade school. We get employers in here all the time that give us those requirments. There are "good" jobs out there that start at 12 bucks if you have those qualifications.

The same guy drives a nice car and we know what the dealer charges him to repair it.
Is it any wonder that manufacturing is in trouble in this country.

gas said:
I teach at a local secondary trade school. We get employers in here all the time that give us those requirments. There are "good" jobs out there that start at 12 bucks if you have those qualifications.

The same guy drives a nice car and we know what the dealer charges him to repair it.
Is it any wonder that manufacturing is in trouble in this country.

Attempting to get multiple qualified people for low pay is nothing new. In 1978 I checked into a job at an Oregon remote area hospital. They wanted licensed electrician, plumber and HVAC guy wrapped up in one - all for $5 per hour. I told the HR lady that each of these crafts payed up to 10 to 15. She laughed and said "I know but they will not listen to me and think they can do it at 5".

Dan Bentler

Reminds me of a major motor manufacturer that I once interviewed with. They wanted to start me off at $6.50 an hour to repair their CNC machines. It only took the average guy 5 years to top out at $12 an hour according to the HR guy.

I think I upset him by laughing so hard.

Steve Bailey said:
I remember an ad for a copier technician: $5.00 per hour for time at jobsite only, must have own tools, reliable car, no mileage reimbursement.

Seen one almost EXACTLY like this one years ago. We must have been reading the same news paper.

Applied for a job once at an admusement park. After going thru the interview the HR guy tells me the salary. My first question was "Are you serious?". He said we have perks though.

Perk= 20 percent off park admission for direct family memebers.

Needless to say.... I did not take the job. Kinda made me wonder though. At that price what kind of people did they get to work on the rides.

I saw one similar to that "PLC programming skills....SCADA...VB programming..." and at the end it said "welding experience a plus"

When I used to be job searching I had one rule that transcended all others.

If they dont print the wage/salary its because its ****.

I was never proved wrong

All this 'good salary' or the right pay for the right man is bollox - if its a good wage, they print it.

Goody said:

I was never proved wrong

All this 'good salary' or the right pay for the right man is bollox - if its a good wage, they print it.

Gee and here I thought that trend existed only in the USA. Doncha just love modern management spawn of unwed parents.

Dan Bentler

I'll accept that in general. However, I know of one consistant exception to the rule. There are lots of small integration houses that can't afford to offer high salaries, but will pay generous amounts of what they bill their customers back to the employee. This often requires a multi-talented, "one man show", who does end up making good money.

Goody said:

I was never proved wrong

Clay B. said:
Applied for a job once at an admusement park. After going thru the interview the HR guy tells me the salary. My first question was "Are you serious?". He said we have perks though.

Perk= 20 percent off park admission for direct family memebers.
was this in the Orlando,Fl area within the last two years? I answered an ad at one of the "major" theme parks there, and for an automation tech w/ 2yr degree, they offered $15 hourly to start, topping at $18. The bens package added a laughable $3 to the hourly rate.