ether to fiber

mobil1syn

Lifetime Supporting Member
so i currently have a flex i/o module communicating back to the UCP via an fiber ETAP. based on some comments from the customer regarding other items i have a feeling the site will be single mode fiber, not multi mode. if that ends up being the case i will not be able to use the ETAP. looking for some simple and easy ways to get from ethernet to fiber? i really dont want to throw a managed switch in there, no married to AB. any suggestions?

Look into Transition Networks media converters. We use them for copper to multimode, not sure exactly what they have for single mode though. Pretty cheap, around $140CAD, so may be around $100USD.

EDIT: Found one, catalogue number M/E-PSW-FX-02(SM), check out the page for it and see if it would work for you.

Last edited:
Are you using this in DLR configuration?
if so, then you must have a converter that is specifically designed to handle DLR beacons.

you will be better off using multimode fiber !!!
I had lots of trouble at my last plant with single mode in regards to communications.

james

I've done a lot of fiber work and am a certified fiber installer. Both MM and SM can cause problems each in their own way. Universal to both is connector cleanliness. First thing to check. After that, power and loss meters go a long way and everyone using fiber should have one available. I've had issues with Molex brand couplers for SM on more than one occasion. If you're using attenuators, they should be placed as close to the receiver as possible. The final step would be to call in someone with an OTDR for SM issues.