AB 440R-H23176m MSR210P Safety Relay - Reset Issues

alive15

Good afternoon,

I'm having issues resetting my safety relay. Sometimes it resets, other times it does not. We end up cycling power and hoping it resets on start-up; again, sometimes it does, and sometimes it does not. After replacing the relay, we still have the same issue. We have a wire coming out of terminal S34 that goes into an e-stop reset PB, then goes into Y1 on the relay. From Y1, it goes through two NC contacts on two separate relays in series, then back into Y2.

The manual says I need to hold down the reset PB, then fix my E-stop issue, then let go of the reset PB. Is this the correct method? I've been able to fix my e-stop, then press my reset PB to clear out the e-stop error.

Here's a link to my manual: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/440r-in072_-mu-p.pdf

Thanks,

I believe the OP is using example -1 the wire from Y1 that goes through the N.C.contacts in series and back to Y2 is to insure the relays have opened up before reset is possible. I have found this a problem on some equipment that have the AB red safety AUX on them as they dont get a good contact sometimes (dust) and the 24 vdc doesn't complete the circuit and let Safety relay reset. (You can test in the field with a jumper when Relays are open and Safety relay wont reset. I put jumpers on the red caps so the circuit uses all the sets of N.C. contacts on the block

Yes, example 1, not 2, sorry.

Right, I've tested the contacts and made sure the connection over the reset circuit (S34 to y1 and y2) was good. But the relay still does not reset after pressing in my PB b/w S34 and Y1.

Are you saying to override my PB, and place a jumper from S34 to Y1 and Y2?

No, I was just saying sometimes the connection between Y1-Y2 is not good and relay wont reset.

You should only have to press the reset after Estop conditions are cleared and it will reset.
Dont have to hold it. Are you just using the E-stop dual loop circuit like example -2
(reset like example -1)

I have not used this particular Safety Relay but have used a lot of them, Actually example 3 looks wrong for auto reset, I think you would need a jumper between Y1-S34 otherwise it is the same as example 1

I have 24 Volts coming into A1 to power it, but coming out of my channel 1 (S11), I have 14V and coming out of channel 2 (S21), I have only 18 V ? This should be 24V on both channels, correct? Where is the issue here? This is a brand new safety relay.

Can you test the one you took out on the bench to be sure there is not a problem with the safety circuit itself. What do the indicator lights do.
Also I was wrong on the reset for example 3, the jumpers on Y40-41-42 determine the reset configuration.