Hydrotest bench

Sam1

S
My customer is setting up a Hydrotest bench to test hyrdraulic hose.
He previously has a parker hydrotest bench rated for 1500 bar. Now he plans to build his own Hydrotest bench rated for 4000 bar (58,000 PSI)

I was supposed to do the automation part and went to his plant to inspect the existing parker make Hydrotest bench.

Parker used a controller called "Unimaticontrol-E". It has a 4 or 6 line Alphanumeric display.

The operator enters all test details like test pressure and no. of test and the test time. He also enters order no. , stock no. etc.
Once the test is complete it generates Test report with all the operator entered details.An HP laserjet printer is also connected to the Unimaticontroller (for test report printing)

Actually after going through the system i found that the controller only takes 3 signals.
1 analog Input : from pressure transducer
1 Digital input : from door safety switch
1 digital output: lamp indication.

Now i can do all the test job everything but only thing i am stuckup is connecting my AB micrologix PLC to an HP laserjet printer for printing. ( I havenot even tried a serial printer-ASCII).

Test report is only one page.

Can i try with some other PLC brand and do this print job easily. What PLC do you recommend.

Thanks for your help

Sam

Have you considered cabling the Micro to a panelview 300 with printer port? The printer port can then be conected to a serial printer, or, if a lser is preferred, possibly a "black box" serial to parallel converter. Just a thought.

We made something like that before 5 or 6 years .for air conditions valves.
We build high pressure unit to check the valve and have test report.
What we find out that the easy way to do it with PC.
We made screen with MS Access. The operator have good interface. He can see all the form he needed to fill.
Every printer fit .
He have good keyboard,
Barcode option and it cost less then the other option.