Can't update firmware to 1769-L33ER

plccontrols

Hello,

I am having a problem trying to update the firmware in a brand new Compactlogix controller 1769-L33ER. I continually get the message "target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update". I have set the prog/run switch to prog, and the SD card is unlocked. I have set the ethernet address using the BootP-DHCP server and subsequently disabled bootp/dhcp successfully. I can see the node in Rslinx and Rslogix 5000, and I can ping the address successfully. I have tried updating through both RSlogix and the Controlflash utility with the same result. These are the 2 failures from the log:

08/25/12 14:15:07 [FAILURE] Transfer: Error #11006: Service cannot be performed while object is in current state.
GS=0x0C

08/25/12 14:16:26 [FAILURE] Transfer: File = C:\Program Files\ControlFLASH\0001\000E\006B\PN-138317.der, Block = 1.

Is there some simple thing I'm missing? Some obscure, check box somewhere? Speaking of check boxes, the one that reads "Restrict communications except through selected slots" is unchecked. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Got it. After about 35 tries or so, selecting the same options, cycling power on the machine, rebooting the laptop three or four times, it just worked. Love it.

I'm surprised that brute force retries did the trick, but thank you for posting the followup.

Usually you're right on: an "incorrect mode" message indicates that a controller is in RUN mode or is configured in such a way that it needs to stop what it's doing before continuing.

I received a pair of new 1769-L18ER's last week and loading their initial firmware was very straightforward; download the ControlFlash kit, set the IP address via the USB connection, start the upgrade, and go get a coffee.

If you don't mind, write up a short summary of this, including the date codes and whatever other info you can get off the controller, and send it to RA Tech Support so they can add it to whatever stack of "initial firmware load difficulties" they're watching for out in the world. Every data point helps when you're looking for patterns.

I had the same issue with the 1769-L33ER I found the issue.
Don't expand the tree all the way out to the compact bus if you do you will get the error every time, select the processor directly under usb.

flash.JPG

Hello,

I am having a problem trying to update the firmware in a brand new Compactlogix controller 1769-L33ER. I continually get the message "target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update". I have set the prog/run switch to prog, and the SD card is unlocked. I have set the ethernet address using the BootP-DHCP server and subsequently disabled bootp/dhcp successfully. I can see the node in Rslinx and Rslogix 5000, and I can ping the address successfully. I have tried updating through both RSlogix and the Controlflash utility with the same result. These are the 2 failures from the log:

08/25/12 14:15:07 [FAILURE] Transfer: Error #11006: Service cannot be performed while object is in current state.
GS=0x0C

08/25/12 14:16:26 [FAILURE] Transfer: File = C:\Program Files\ControlFLASH\0001\000E\006B\PN-138317.der, Block = 1.

Is there some simple thing I'm missing? Some obscure, check box somewhere? Speaking of check boxes, the one that reads "Restrict communications except through selected slots" is unchecked. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Even though it is a huge pain, I always reduce the system to : Power Supply; Processor, and End Cap-Right.
THEN do the firmware flash.
Rockwell instructed to do this in the olden days, and I don't know if its still in the Release Notes, or not.
Recently, I have had to do this multiple times, and the best method is via the USB port. I was actually surprised on how easy it was. Not happy about having to do it EVERY TIME I DOWNLOADED, but, at least the USB worked.
(!!_

Even though it is a huge pain, I always reduce the system to : Power Supply; Processor, and End Cap-Right.
THEN do the firmware flash.
Rockwell instructed to do this in the olden days, and I don't know if its still in the Release Notes, or not.
Recently, I have had to do this multiple times, and the best method is via the USB port. I was actually surprised on how easy it was. Not happy about having to do it EVERY TIME I DOWNLOADED, but, at least the USB worked.
(!!_

I don't think that's still in the release notes, I've never had to do it. They do say that if you are upgrading the firmware over ethernet you need to be directly connected to the controller (not going through a switch, etc) or you will brick the processor (which I've seen happen).

Same Issue...

I had the same issue with the 1769-L33ER I found the issue.
Don't expand the tree all the way out to the compact bus if you do you will get the error every time, select the processor directly under usb.

Hi Guys, this is my first post.

I just updated firmware on a 1769-L33ER as well. I also had the same problem. I followed dave5777's suggestion and it worked immediately. Hope the info helps.

Take care.

Hi Guys, this is my first post.

I just updated firmware on a 1769-L33ER as well. I also had the same problem. I followed dave5777's suggestion and it worked immediately. Hope the info helps.

Take care.

Don't forget...if you EVER decide to download after the initial one, you need to flash the firmware first.
Yes, Rockwell actually writes this up in the release notes.

And, people still buy them.

I don't get it, but, then again, I don't have to get it ... after all, I get PAID to fix it, time and time again, for people who are too busy to read Release Notes.

Ugggg.

Hi jdbrandt,

Are you saying that I have to re-flash the firmware every time I want to download a new version of my program?

That is exactly what I am saying.

I say it, because it is true.
At least for six processors I am working with, all of Firmware V20.13, build 81.
And, it is not just me...Rockwell advises that this _might_ be the case, for V20.13.
I ammend the _might_ as a _will_.

Makes me glad, that my company has decided to stick with only using 1769-L32E, and Firmware v19.01.
:)

Marc