AB Micrologix to HP LaserJet Printer Interface

Sam1

S
Has anybody intefaced AB's Micrologix PLC to HP Laserjet Printer.
Either through Ethernet or Parallel port.

I want to print a test report(simple report) directly from PLC to a Printer.

I will read and print Analog Signal(pressure) in that report. I have only one Analog input. But i will sample that signal at various test time and print that value. Suppose the customer wants 5 samples then i will print those 5 values. But i need also print the report. Print report will be less than half page.

I donot want to use a SCADA software. As that will increase my cost ( PC, Scada software runtime licensee etc).

Is there any less expensive way to do this.

Below is what my actual application is. I posted that a few days before under the topic Hydrotest bench.

HYDROTEST BENCH
My customer is setting up a Hydrotest bench to test hyrdraulic hose.
He previously has a parker hydrotest bench rated for 1500 bar. Now he plans to build his own Hydrotest bench rated for 4000 bar (58,000 PSI)

I was supposed to do the automation part and went to his plant to inspect the existing parker make Hydrotest bench.

Parker used a controller called "Unimaticontrol-E". It has a 4 or 6 line Alphanumeric display.

The operator enters all test details like test pressure and no. of test and the test time. He also enters order no. , stock no. etc.
Once the test is complete it generates Test report with all the operator entered details.An HP laserjet printer is also connected to the Unimaticontroller (for test report printing)

Actually after going through the system i found that the controller only takes 3 signals.
1 analog Input : from pressure transducer
1 Digital input : from door safety switch
1 digital output: lamp indication.

Now i can do all the test job everything but only thing i am stuckup is connecting my AB micrologix PLC to an HP laserjet printer for printing. ( I havenot even tried a serial printer-ASCII).

Test report is only one page.

Can i try with some other PLC brand and do this print job easily. What PLC do you recommend.

Thanks for your help

Sam

I was using printers with serial interface. I'm not sure if your
printer has it. If not you are probably stuck with PC. PC doesn't have to be something fancy with SCADA. You can probably use
something like PC/104 board running DOS or Linux and small
program to send to LPT whatever comes from PLC through RS232.

I once successfully used a serial/parallel converter to print to an Epson LX-80 from a PLC-5, so I know that *can* work.

But of course modern laser printers are a lot more complex than old dot-matrix ones.

Ethernet is out. MicroLogix controllers simply aren't made to be printer drivers.

Exactly what model of LaserJet are you using ?

Thanks to Ken Roach & Panic Mode.

I am in proposal stage only.....

I have to submit a quote to our machine builder for the PLC / Printer part(automation part). I just want to make sure that somebody has done a parrallel printer interface and with that i will make proposal for the PLC & Printer.

If no body has everdone (PLC ,printer) then i might not take risk as i have already got into so much of troubles. (over commitment).

I just want to make sure that things like these can be done and only then i will try. ( I will try till i succeed). But want to make sure that at the end that it can be done otherwise my effort will be all waste.

If Parrallel printer is not possible then i would have to go with serial printers from EPSON.(again proposal)

Many thanks