ABB ACS350 Run Enable problem

Hello

I have an ABB ACS350 drive and am having trouble with the run enable parameter. when i active the run enable command parameter "1601" i cannot set the speed reference via the 0...20mA analog input

i have a 0...10V analog input signal going to my drive that i am using to control speed. I also have run enable activated on the drive.

when i go to remote mode and the run enable is deactivated i can change my analog input signal and the reference freq on the panel display changes accordingly.

however when i am in remote and then try and change the analog input signal the motor will not chang speed and maintains "5Hz" on the panel display?

i need to be able to change the speed of the drive when the run enable digital input is closed?

the following is a link to the manual for the drive:

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot201.nsf/veritydisplay/2cf5b5aabb5777a9c125733d00407394/$file/en_acs350%20um_d.pdf

any info would be great. i need this finished by 2 days. i wonder is it simply that if you use run enable you simply cannot set a speed reference? however this seems unlikely to me?

thanks for the help

BennyK,

Some simple checks...
1) you are using 0-10v or 4-20mA as your analog input - which one are you actually using and have you selected the AI1 or AI2 reference input correctly for V or mA?
2) There is a parameter for each analog input (120 and 121) which tells you what %age of each input the drive is seeing
3) have you set your min and max speeds correctly - either rpm or Hz and the correct range?
4) what other inputs have you selected with digital wiring? Have you selected a constant speed in error and set it to 5Hz?

The speed should be variable when the drive is enabled....

i have DI1 set up as accelerate/decelerate
i have DI2 set up as forward/reverse
i have DI3 set up as run enable

i can measure 0...10V at the input terminals of AI1 with a meter and it changes no matter if the run enable is on or not.

when i open the run enable input i can change the 0...10V and the panel display frequency set point changes. but when i close it the panel display dose not change and simply reverts to a static value. the value it reverts to seems to be constant speed 1 parameter 1202

i think i figured it out. i have changed the 1202 parameter to be DI5. it was set at DI3. which was also the run enable parameter

Hello Dick,

yes i think so anyway i just went through the settings this afternoon and noticed that there were two functions assigned to DI3. I gave the drive a turn once and it seemed to work as i wanted.

i must give it another test tomorrow as i only have a couple of minutes to verify if the setup i had done worked. but i am pretty sure it is ok.

i have attached a 100 ohm 100 watt braking resistor to the drive and might implement the brake using the resistor tomorrow. at the moment is is using the internal capacitance to dissipate the braking energy.

is there any risk to damaging the drive if i use the braking resistor? i am worried that disabling the voltage protection may compromise the drive? at the moment the motor brakes in 2 seconds, would the braking resistor allow it to brake faster or would i notice any real advantage in using it?

1.) Select the Application Macros (your process application)

a.) ABB Standard Macro.

DI1 = Stop (0) / Start (1)

DI2 = Forward (0) / Reverse (1)

DI5 = Acceleration and Deceleration selection

Do not connect any cable on DI3 and DI4(speed Constant),if not require.

ABB -> The Control Panel always overrides the external control signal sources when used in Local Mode

ABB -> When the drive is in External Control/REM, the commands are given through the standard
I/O terminals (digital and analog inputs) and/or the fieldbus interface.
In addition, it is also possible to set the control panel as the source for the External control.

In Local Mode, if you start the motor on the Control Panel then you take out the Control Panel the motor must stop.

Record/Document your configuration

has anyone experience an offset when using the ACS350 analog output signal?

i keep measuring a mA offset in mine when the drive is doing nothing?

Also dose anyone know if the kW measurement that you can set the analog output to be a measure of the power used by the drive or just the power used by the actual motor. i.e. dose the kW measurement include the running losses of the drive itself?

Analog Output,

Motor Spec must set.

select 1501 = 0106 Power KW

1504 = 4 or 0 mA
1505 = 20 or 20 mA

1502 = 0 KW
1503 = XX KW

OVERVIEW_AO.jpg SELECT_AO.jpg SCALE_AO.jpg

Acc350

has anyone experience an offset when using the ACS350 analog output signal?

i keep measuring a mA offset in mine when the drive is doing nothing?

Also dose anyone know if the kW measurement that you can set the analog output to be a measure of the power used by the drive or just the power used by the actual motor. i.e. dose the kW measurement include the running losses of the drive itself?

1301 MINIMUM AI1 "If this is the analog input you are using"
should be scaled to 20% for 4 mA at min speed".

Span = 16mA (4mA / 20mA = 20%)

I have the drive set up for 0.....20mA and scaled for -0.8.....0.8kW.i did this as i am trying to measure the regenerated power and motor power.

When the drive was ranged from -0.8kW…….+0.8kW and the drive is in its stop condition (i.e. not under load just plugged in) then I measured 10.377mA. for zero power this should be 10mA

previously i set to same analog input to be 0...20mA for 0....50Hz for testing purposes for my plc. i notice that at 0Hz i was getting 0.164mA out. i had the drive output connected to a milli amp meter and no motor connected and the 0.164mA offset seems to always be present

this makes me think that the offset is (0.377-0.164) = 0.214mA as i was thinking under the kW setup the drive absorbs some static power when idle and was this included in the analog signal.