How much is rockwell's technical support cost

It's the latter... so the price goes up even more as more licenses are bought. The annual bill ran through my mailbox once and I almost fall out of the chair.

that's not unusual for software in the corporate IT world. Take AutoCAD and even MS Office for example, it's now on a subscription model and a lot of app now on the cloud so you pay the vendor for the cloud service. In some way, it makes sense for a corporation because it make annual expense easier to manage and predictable.

In my personal life, I hate such models which is why I'm quitting Quicken (a personal finance software) which I used for decades and all other product by Intuit because now they switch to such pricing model.

I have heard that the price is based on "what you have" (i.e. all hardware and software accumulated over previous years).

Ours was based on the software lic we had... but I was able to have them drop some of the software we no longer used and I told them to drop the qty and they did so we ended up buying about 7 packages worth of support, I would be guessing at the dollar value but im thinking a few thousand or about 2 software packages so worth the money in just the upgrades

Time for some FLOSS and FLOSH? Prohibitive licencing costs of acceptable automation solutions are hampering innovation. Look what a reasonable FLOSS operating system has done for our computer programming brethren.
Chicken and egg though. It's got to be good before anyone will back it, and people have to back it before it is any good. Is the UK the best place for this innovation? US and DE are the big names in automation, time for the UK to join the party, with our exceptional engineering history.

To be honest, the only reason i have a service agreement with Rockwell, is to be in the loop of the software updates, they way they program the software at Rockwell (totally in bed with microsoft) there will be and has always been problems you always have to balance. (= time wasted)

Don't get me wrong, i love programming in AB PLC's this is the part that in my mind really works well :)

But the business model where you pay for a service up front don't work very well, i get better service and support from my local sales rep, then I have ever got from Rockwell, sorry off topic !!

/Holm

The quality of the phone Tech Support is Outstanding. We have 24/7-365 coverage and I have called quite a bit.
Chronic AB hardware/software/and firmware issues have been ridiculously bad over the years and I would have had a nervous breakdown if it wasn't for the phone in tech support.

My personal experience was a most of hit and miss really. I received some pretty good support on a couple of items and really poor support on other questions.

I mean when you ask why their IO blocks freeze and you're told to go buy a UPS and if they can close a ticket, you start feeling like you're just throwing money in the bin.

You asked how much it is so here you go.

Two PLC 5/30s and two seats of Logix5
Two SLCs (can’t remember model but they are Ethernet) and four or five seats of Logix500
13 Compactlogix and three Contrologix and four or five seats of Logix5000 Enterprise

8 or 10 RsLinx Classic seats
Four or five Factorytalk View Studio ME seats

Monday-Friday help

$15,000 annually

It's not what do you pay...it's what will I have to pay?...

First, I'll part quote my earlier post...

Geospark said:
Relevant Feedback...

Folks,

To be honest here...

As nearly all of us will most certainly have widely varying requirements from Rockwell Automation and their TechConnect Support offerings, I feel it will do our friend little good, other than perhaps frightening them in some cases, to just start posting what it is we all pay.

My cost base for TechConnect could be 1,500 Earth Credits for Drives M-F 8-5PM, whereas yours could be 15,000 Earth Credits for a Toolkit. But what useful relevance will either example really provide to the OP? Unless they understand what it is you have and require against quoted cost, and it happens to be close to what they happen to have and require, it won't really provide them with the information that "they" require here.

Then, for kicks, if for no other reason, I'll put it another way...

Q: I'm off to the Dentist in the morning. How much is it going to cost me?

A: Well, let me spell it out for ya...I went last week and had to have 6 teeth removed, 2 root canals, 3 caps, 8 fillings and 4 crowns. For the 6 teeth removed, casts have been made and I'm waiting on the bridges. The bill came to 15k and another 2k when the bridges are fitted. I'll also need to go back every few months for checkups and possible follow on work. Yeah, over 15k it's going to cost you. What do you think of that then?

Q: That sounds like way more than I need done? I've never even heard of half those things? I'm much younger and have very little wrong with my teeth and reckon I'll just need a filling or two. Maybe a polish while I'm at it? Will it still cost me that much?

A: Yep, it doesn't matter what dental work we both need done. Whatever I've to pay, you'll have to pay.

Q: That does make much sense or really help me, but thanks for your time.

The question here, at it's heart, is asking how much will it cost "them", the OP, to purchase Tech Connect for what "they" have or wish to cover. Us all divulging what "we" have and what "we" pay for Tech Connect is not an accurate way for the OP to guage "their" likely cost. My original fear when this thread started was that members would start a "...you think that's expensive?...well here's what we pay..." type bragging contest, leaving the OP totally bewildered.

We got to "$2,000,000.00" there at one point! The OP just wanted access to the Knowledgebase, so that was quite amusing, thanks.

G.

Last edited:
Ronnie Sullivan said:
They are taking the pi$$
Got you all by the nuts and keep on squeezing harder...

That may be, for some. But as long as it's not my "nuts they are squeezing", or "pi$$ they are taking", then I personally don't really care. That's the beauty of working for a wealthy, cost absorbing, multinational manufacturer. While others might need or choose to procrastinate and obstinate; they just stipulate and obligate, and I just facilitate.

G.

Time for some FLOSS and FLOSH? Prohibitive licencing costs of acceptable automation solutions are hampering innovation. Look what a reasonable FLOSS operating system has done for our computer programming brethren.
Chicken and egg though. It's got to be good before anyone will back it, and people have to back it before it is any good. Is the UK the best place for this innovation? US and DE are the big names in automation, time for the UK to join the party, with our exceptional engineering history.

It's not really a chicken and egg situation... how many lives are lost because a website is down? How many lives will be lost if the controls aren't well tested and designed?

Whilst I do agree that paying for hardware and the software to program said hardware is wrong (look at the small protocol converters or smart instrumentation), there is still a cost to develop the automation software.

Then, there's the user audience... Most automation professionals are smarter than average electricians and not programmers or IT gurus like the IT brethren. Go looking around the forum and you'll see that the majority of people will not move away from ladder logic. Do you really want to force them to use a Linux box (which is actually quite nice to use lately, but still beside the point)?

You'll get better support on this forum than you will with the KB alone. The search tool in their KB is so bad I just use live chat and make them find the KB article for me :ROFLMAO:

Live chat and phone support are both worth the cost in my opinion. Live chat can be hit or miss, but the phone support is usually very good.