Multiple VFD Enclosure

Beau79AU

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a calculator for figuring out size of enclosure to house multiple vfd's? We have a job at them moment where we need to house 2 x Schneider ATV650 15kw and 4 x ATV630 2.2kw drives in a single stainless steel enclosure.

Regards,
Beau

Hoffman has a calculator to determine what size air conditioner is required for a cabinet housing components with X BTUs for a given cabinet size based on the environment. You could work that backwards.

Start here

There is a "Drives Engineering Handbook" published by AB/Rockwell That has this calculation and "rules-of-thumb".
Basically, you calculate the total surface area of the enclosure. You can figure heat dissipation at around 10w/sq.ft. with a 40*F ambient with a 10*F rise inside the enclosure.

They have a graph in the handbook for reference.

CFM requirements = (1.76 x watts)/Temp Rise(*C)