FactoryTalk View Studio ME longterm problem

buzz339

I have been using FactoryTalk View Studio ME since version 3.2 (now using 8.2).

I have had the following problem on every operating system AND every version of Studio ME from Windows XP through Windows 10. I have contacted Rockwell and never had a solution that lasted.

When I first open the software, everything works fast. Clicking on anything give an immediate response. However, after using it for a while (can be anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours), it becomes slower and slower. It can serveral minutes to open a display, and several HOURS to compile a runtime (which normally would take 2 minutes). Rebooting the machine fixes the problem, but the process repeats again.

It does not matter what machine I load it on (I have loaded it on 2 workstations and 5 laptops), they all have fast processors and maxed out memory. It is always the same problem.

Can anybody give me a clue as to how to fix this problem? Surely I can't be the only person having this problem, yet I can find no tech notes anywhere on it.

More information: This same problem also occurs with the Studio 5000 software, as well as the RSLOGIX 5000 software. It has never happened with RS500 software, or panelbuilder.

memory

The memory is barely being utilized while I am waiting for the software to react. Same is true of the CPU.

Very strange. I've not had that problem with AB programs. Since it happens across all different PCs, what is the common link? Is there some other 3rd party software that you've had on all of those PCs that could be having an interaction?

Also, in Windows, the CPU usage chart can be misleading. Sometimes you have to press the "show CPU usage from all processes" button to actually see what's going on. Not sure why that isn't the default.

All machines do have microsoft office, autocad, wonderware, adobe acrobat, and a standard antivirus program (either symantec endpoint or just the windows defender). But nothing else is the same.

The CPU is still nearly idle with the "show CPU usage from all processes" button pressed.

Can you install just Studio 5000 and factorytalk on a "test" PC that has no other software i stalled? And just add programs one by one until the problem repeats?

So it would appear that what you are seeing is not common. I have also used it since the 3.xx revisions. I had noticed in some older revisions that creating the runtime would sometimes occur normally and sometimes it would take several minutes before the pop up progress bar would appear. Once it appeared it seemed to progress normally. I haven't seen that issue in several revisions.

It would seem to be something in your setup. Perhaps licensing related since it is affecting other software. PanelBuilder didn't use the same licensing scheme and RSLogix 500 might not have either.

Do the machines have their own licenses or are you using a licensing server? When the slowdown occurs does it affect other RA programs as well? For example, while waiting for the runtime to compile, can you launch Studio 5000 and have it start normally or is it slow as well?

OG

Sure. However all the computers we have at work are always in use and I have no spares. I will have to get authorization to purchase a machine for this, so it will take some time.

One thing I was thinking, but haven't tested, is that it is some kind of networking or file security issue. We are on a Microsoft Domain network. However since this is common, I would think others would have the same problem.

Operaghost -
My licensing is not on a server. And it is the development package so I have all licensing on each individual machine.

This past friday I was compiling a runtime (it actually took over 2 hours!), but I was still able to launch and use Studio 5000 fine (but I only used it for 30 minutes).

I did try that and it didn't make a difference.

One thing I plan to try is logging in as a workstation user, with it unplugged from the network also. Of course I lose access to everything on the network, so I need to find a long enough time to test it when we are slow (which has been rare lately).

It just seems that someone else would have had the same problem - I am using all standard hardware (Dell, Lenovo) and software (Microsoft, Rockwell).

How many projects do you have in FTView Studio?

Can you use a virtual PC? It is a lot easier to setup a new virtual PC with VMWare, or VirtualBox. Then you know that image is problem free and fast. If you ever run into troubles, just go back to a clean snapshot.