CIP Generic Read using Micro 820 PLC

arhoward1105

Hi All!

I'm working on a project using a Micro 820 and an Ethernet/IP enabled distance sensor (linked below). Basically, all I have to do is pull the sensor value into the PLC so it can be displayed on an HMI.

The sensor manufacturer has documentation on how to set up using Logix5000 and that looks pretty straightforward, but I can't find anything on the Micro 800 line of controllers. CCW lacks any support with EDS files so I have to setup CIP generic messaging per Rockwell support. They also gave me a document with examples, but that didn't help me much as I couldn't find one that fit my case. Their document primarily consisted of PLC to PLC communication. Has anyone done this before or know of some literature I can reference?

Here is the sensor:
https://www.wenglor.com/product-world/products/

Here is the document from Rockwell:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/2080-qs002_-en-e.pdf

Last edited:
Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Begin with that Quick Start and use the "CIP Generic" almost exactly as shown, to read the Identity Object of the sensor. If that works and you can read part of the Identity Object like the Device Code (Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 3), then you can try something more complex like reading a parameter.

If you can link in more detail to the sensor type and documentation that might help; that link went to a general product page.

It's possible that the sensor doesn't allow this kind of connection and will only with with an I/O scanner like the ControlLogix/CompactLogix. But we'll be able to tell once we read its datasheet and user manual.

Hey thanks for your reply!

I cant copy the link that takes you right to the product page. I didn't catch it before so my apologies.

If you follow the link and enter the part number below in the search box to the right of the shopping cart, you will be able to find the item. Then you can scroll down and click on downloads you will find a list of documents. I cant attach the documents because they are too large.

P/N: OY2TA104P0150E

Let me know if you have any trouble getting to the part listing.

EDIT: Here is the product listing. I had to click on Share Product on the page.

https://www.wenglor.com/product/OY2TA104P0150E

Last edited:
Sweet, thanks !

I found the Electronic Data Sheet for the device, which includes this description of Parameter 1, the Measured Value:

Param1 =
0, $ reserved, shall equal 0
6,"20 64 24 01 30 01", $ Link Path Size, Link Path
0x0000, $ Descriptor
0xC4, $ Data Type: DINT
4, $ Data Size in bytes
"Measured value", $ name
"mm", $ units
"", $ help string
100,10100,100, $ min, max, default data values
,,,, $ mult, div, base, offset scaling
,,,, $ mult, div, base, offset links
1; $ decimal places

The Parameter Path is the important part. It encodes the Class, Instance, and Attribute of the parameter.

20 64 24 01 30 01

This means that the Distance is Class 0x64, Instance 1, Attribute 0x01. Make the data size 4 bytes.

Try those in your Micro 820 program, once you've got it working with Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 = 1211 (Wenglor Vendor ID).