Modicon 221

QasimFSH

Hi All,

How can we utilize Ethernet (TCP/IP) for controlling a device, of course that is at a distance (maybe 15 m away). I am using TM221CET16R of Schneider electric.

Also, what is a relay output? I mean is it a relay that is connected to the output, or what?

Thanks

You can use ModbusTCP so long as your other device supports it.

A relay output means that the output voltage you supply to the common for that output is switched using a relay. You can also get transistor outputs where semiconductor switching is used. Transistor output is quicker at switching, and should have a longer life, but will switch significantly lower currents compared to a relay output.

It really depends.

But you won't be using Ethernet unless you fit a device next to it that supports Modbus and use that to switch the pump. You need to look at your existing pump controls and work out what you want to achieve. At the most basic you could use PLC outputs to simulate however you control the pump now via some PLC inputs, but you need to look at the system as a whole and take into account any other functions you may need to incorporate, such as safety circuits.

I would not use Powerline in an industrial environment, but the choice is yours. As for something instead of the Ethernet relay you found, a small Ethernet capable PLC would work.

Communicate between the two devices to switch the pump.

What if I am not allowed to run a control cable? How can control a dumb pump?

Have a look at the Advantys OTB, the head module with Ethernet comes with 12 inputs and 8 outputs, but you are going to need an enclosure, a local 24VDC supply etc. etc.

Is there any particular reason you cant pull a multi-core 15M to the motor starter ?

@Tragically1969
The reason is simply to avoid hassle. What do you think about powerline communication?

@Jonnie_R
I do like your idea a lot, but just out of curiosity, what the harm in using powerline communication?

Thanks.

@Tragically1969
The reason is simply to avoid hassle. What do you think about powerline communication?

Thanks.

If you regard 15M as hassle i would hate to see your definition of difficult !!

I think its great for extending WiFi and LAN in your home, but in an industrial environment, no thanks.

Seriously, run the cable, its the most robust and reliable solution.

Last edited:
Ive installed over a kilometer of cable in the la month at a new water plant. Tied to cable tray every 10cm. Don't be lazy, get an electrician to install the cable and do the job properly.

HI All,

The distance is actually about 50m. And the installation cost is nearly $1000. Probably I did not tell before, I am in Australia, and the labor cost here touches the sky..

I have contacted Insteon to know if their Powerline Communications Module is suitable to be used industrially.
If not, then Schneider`s "All-in-one motor starters:TeSys U" for wireless switching.