How much is rockwell's technical support cost

I have just renewed our TechConnect contract and increased it to 24x7x365 support for software and hardware (PLC, HMI, Motion etc) and it came in at around £15k a year, or with a 3 year contract about £11.5k

Relevant Feedback...

Folks,

To be honest here...

As nearly all of us will most certainly have widely varying requirements from Rockwell Automation and their TechConnect Support offerings, I feel it will do our friend little good, other than perhaps frightening them in some cases, to just start posting what it is we all pay.

My cost base for TechConnect could be 1,500 Earth Credits for Drives M-F 8-5PM, whereas yours could be 15,000 Earth Credits for a Toolkit. But what useful relevance will either example really provide to the OP? Unless they understand what it is you have and require against quoted cost, and it happens to be close to what they happen to have and require, it won't really provide them with the information that "they" require here.

That is just my quick observation and opinion on the topic and how vaguely the question has be asked.

IdealDan said:
...How much is rockwell's technical support cost...

Please, what cost range is rockwell's Technical support?

IdealDan,

There is no real fixed quotable figure here. The cost for TechConnect Support is relative to the hardware and software install base you currently have, and how much of that install base you wish to have covered and during which hours of any given week.

I, or I'm sure others, can provide you with detailed options and plans that they offer. But I feel it would serve you best to first provide us with details of what I have just outlined -

What hardware have you or do you want covered?
(Example: Controllers, drives/servos/medium voltage/motion, HMIs, network appliances, sensors, etc.)
Do you require any Legacy Support?
(Example: Older AB HMI, drives, software, etc.)
What software have you or do you want covered?
(Example: RSLogix 500/5000, Studio 5000, RSNetWorx, View Studio ME/SE, PlantPAx, etc.)
Do you require any Process Safety cover?
What period of Support do you think you'll require?
(Example: M-F 8-5PM, 24/7/365, etc.)

What is your business and your role within it?
(Example: Are you maintaining systems in a manufacturing plant or are you a systems integrator with a client base, etc.)

The answers to those question, at the least, would give us a better basis to providing some options and potential costs. Of course, where you are in the World will factor in here too, I'm sure, with regards available options and costs.

To whet your appetite, here are some of the TechConnect Support option...

Self-Assist Support - Software I downloads / KBase technotes
Product Support - + Software II media and backup / Genius Webinars / phone/chat
System Support - + Real-time System-Level Support / Advanced Engineers
Application Support - + Real-time Application Level Support / Rockwell remote monitoring/alarming & historical data / Emergency Backup / Process Tuning / Field Service Call-Out

But to be more honest, you are probably better off looking up your local Rockwell distributor/vendor and giving them a call to go through your options. They should certainly be able to give you a firmer idea of the costs for your requirements in your area.

Regards,
George

Actually, I just need access to Knowledge Base. I have challenge in HMI Migration from PanelBuild32 to Factory Talk ME. I feel Knowledge Base will do.
How much is Access to Knowledge Base Cost?

One thing to remember is that the TechConnect contract also gives you the latest version of whatever software you have in the support contract.
If you use FactoryTalk, it could be useful to check the price with that added on.

Have you contacted Rockwell?

IdealDan said:
Actually, I just need access to Knowledge Base. I have challenge in HMI Migration from PanelBuild32 to Factory Talk ME. I feel Knowledge Base will do.
How much is Access to Knowledge Base Cost?

In that case - from the above summary list I have provided...

Geospark said:
...Self-Assist Support - Software I downloads / KBase technotes...

Self-Assist Support will most likely suit your requirements best. Note: Software I downloads entitles you to download software updates for any of your licensed software, which otherwise would be charged for without TechConnect. You are not entitled to physical media copies (discs) of newer versions of software or backups of software which may be held by Rockwell for safe keeping.
Self-Assist Support will also give you basic access to TechConnect level Knowledgebase Articles.

I would, again, suggest you contact your nearest Rockwell Automation distributor/vendor to discuss this option and ask for a quotation.

Regards,
George

Either no one on the forum ever paid/used paid support of everyone who does wants to keep it top secret.
Come on people, throw any numbers around.

We never used it but about every 3 years we would get a new contract (for one year) for the software updates.... it was cheaper to get the contract then to buy new copies of all the software

In today's market.... it was about 4.25 *******'s

Has any members here called the hotline number for support?

I have called a few times over my lifetime. They do have very good people manning the phone. It's not just for me but for the other engineers/techs.

When compared to what the company pays for software supports, they aren't that bad. For example, for OSI PI, it's 15% of the purchase price and for a lot of companies the purchase prices are well over millions... do the math.

For example, for OSI PI, it's 15% of the purchase price [..]
15% paid each year for the hardware/software bought the same year ?
Or, 15% paid each year for the hardware/software accumulated over all previous years ?
Or, ... ?

I have heard that the price is based on "what you have" (i.e. all hardware and software accumulated over previous years). If that is true, then you essentially pay the same price every 7 years as what you paid for it to begin with. That is a nice little earner, yes ?
I might be wrong !