SLC 5/03 Communication question

clueless_one

Hello All. Most of our machines have SLC 500's in them with processors ranging between 5/01 to 5/04's. We use a laptop computer with RSLogix 500 to communicate with the processors via a 1747 UIC module. My question, is there anyway to communicate with the processors using the ethernet/LAN port on the laptop instead of having to use the 1747 UIC modules. We have trouble with them all the time and it is a pain to get them to communicate again. If there is anyway to just plug an 8 conductor(RJ45) cable into channel 0 on the processor and plug the other end into the laptop that would save so much time.

Connecting the RJ45 on the SLC501 to your laptop ethernet port will damage one or the other - perhaps both. While similar plugs they are different in electricaal characteristics and protocol.

If you want ethernet for your current PLCs and can put up wih slow communication try the 1761-NET-ENI. If you need true ethernet speeds then you will need to change your PLCs to the newer (and possibly more expensive) units.

Do NOT plug ethernet into that port!! It will most likely fry the ethernet port on your computer!

the eni module that bernie mentions is probably your best solution. There are other ethernet to rs232 converters out there that are cheaper, but you may want to buy one and test it to make sure it meets your needs. I have used them on SLC503s and 504s. I dont have any experience with them for the 501 or 2s. I suspect the 501 may require additional hardware since there is no rs232 port. I would also suggest putting together a plan to network them together and bring it back to a troubleshooting point. Depending on the size of your facility, this would allow for quick troubleshooting if you get a call. It also will set you up for a single data logging station if and when that need arises. Finally you may just want to upgrade your pre 503 processors to make things easier to work with. 503's are cheap on ebay and in other surplus suppliers.

Russell

Dear Friend
The most cheapest way to communicate with SLC 500 with RS232 cable if your laptop have serial port. Otherwise you have to get communication card from AllenBradley which can insert in your PMCIA slot of laptop.
Altaf Belim