Omron-Syswin or Programming console?

christos

Hello everyone!
I have a very exciting task here :rolleyes: ! This is to reprogram a conveyor that has two CPM1A and a C200HE OMRON controllers on. I do not know allot yet about reprogramming but I think I’ll be able to do it one day with your help too. I have started with the basics. At this point I’d like to ask if somebody can tell me if it would be easier to reprogram a PLC using a Programming Console than the Programming Software? I have limited time so, would it be better for me to obtain one of those consoles and start practicing or is it just the same as I do it on my PC using the Software?

Thank you all
Chris

dscn4027 (small).jpg

Last edited:
It would be far easer to program with a PC and Ladder software. If your new to programming PLCs of any type this will help you get through it much faster. If you've had some pratice with assembly in the past that expierence may help you with a simple consle. I understand that you can down load the old Omron LSS2 software that may work with your c200h, but I dont know where from. You will require a Host Link unit and cable. You may find these on Ebay.

Why do you have to reprogram the unit? Is the origional program lost or PLC shot? Or do you just have to make few changes?

If your making changes to someone elses program you should try to get a disk copy, or ladder printout of the program for the program documentation. That would assist greatly in figuring out what he was up to.

Good luck with it.

Mike

Last edited:
For the CPM1A and C200HE PLCs you will require the CPM1A-CIF01 or later interface module. I would suggest that you buy CX-Programmer. This software does not support some of the very old PLCs but does support the 2 PLC types you have and all the latest processors. You will also require a cable from Omron. If you need a link so that you can make your own cable, repost and I will supply the link for you. The C200HE probably has a serial port as well.
beerchug

Thank you Mike and Rob!
I have the ladder program that already run the PLCs but it is not at all what I want the PLCs and my conveyor to do at this time. I was comparing vision inspection systems and along the way I found this beautiful conveyor chilling at the Universities labs. So I decided to make some good out of it and integrate with my vision inspection system(DVT). It was then when I came across PLCs. I obtained a limited version of SYSWIN v3.4 from internet so as to be able to read the ladder program that is already on the PLC from some discs. Should I carry on learning how to program on SYSWIN or should I obtain CX-Programming? And where do you get the CX-programming from? How much? What is the difference? Will it be possible using my PC and the connecting cable the PLCs to read the signal I/O from the software on the PC or should I connect the PC directly with some of the channels of a PLC?

Thank you in advance for all your support
Chris

Chris,

I cannot answer your questions regarding the latest Omron Programming sofware, due to the fact that we dropped Omron some years ago, and currently get by with the older DOS version for minor upgrades and programming changes on existing units.

If this is the only Omron that your going to prgram the cost of a new sofware package could cost $1,000.00 +. I understand from other posts that you can download Omrons LSS2 from somewere on the web, but I dont know the link, and am unsure if it will program you latter model PLCs. So you might consider programming via a programming consle.

If you can print out a copy of the current program in ladder logic, and minomic, This may assist you greatly at making program changes and inputing them via a small single line programming consel.

This link may be your ticket for a full version of Syswin v 3.4 You better hurry the auction ends in 7 hours.

Hopefully somebody else can help you more.

Best of luck.

Mike

Chris,

You can download Syswin 3.4 if you search in this forum under my name.
CPM1 dont need license for C200H you will.
To program with LSS or Syswin is big differnce. I switched to Syswin before few years.If you have minor change you can do it with programing consol.I would not go for it,until 1994 I used to use programing consol PC is another world.
You need to learn how to use the software/consol it going to take you some time.

Good Luck

Christos
If you are only going to alter program on the 3 PLCs and then have no further requirement for the software, pick up Syswin at auction or something like that. If you are going to use Omron in the future I strongly recommend purchasing the CX-Programmer package.

Bear in mind that Syswin will not program the latest PLCs and support has been ended in CX-Programmer for anything older than the C200H PLC series. For the C120, C20 etc you will require Syswin or LSS. At least LSS is now free, although it is awful software compared to the Windows based software.

If you plan to use Omron in future, I would highly recommend you have a look at the CJ1. There are processors available fronm the very high end of the spectrum with over 3000 I/O down to the low end, and another processor on the way for 128 I/O systems. It will be as cheap as chips, slower but will have all the functions of the high end processors. It is very small, about the size of a cigarette packet, has up to 64 bit input and output cards and does not require a rack. Just clips together on a DIN rail. Also fully networkable.

beerchug