You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 26th, 2018, 09:14 PM   #1
JoeMTricker
United States

Unity programming

I'm an electrical technician, so NOT a PLC/PAC expert. I work mostly with SLC's and Contrologix. Some of the old TI505 series. My son works somewhere else and is getting into Unity. He wants to know how to read from/write to another PLC on the network. Does anyone know the Unity equivalent to AB's produced/consumed?

Thanks in advance,
Joe T
Old April 29th, 2018, 03:30 AM   #2
msimango
South Africa

works very different from the AB consume/produce there are comms blocks that are used in Unity under communication , you then configure the block to map data eg set IP add , starting reg to read and the total number to read and where to store the data that should get the data you need, they also have a scanner that you setup when using ModbusTCP is found on your communication card.
Old April 30th, 2018, 04:35 AM   #3
tragically1969
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMTricker View Post
I'm an electrical technician, so NOT a PLC/PAC expert. I work mostly with SLC's and Contrologix. Some of the old TI505 series. My son works somewhere else and is getting into Unity. He wants to know how to read from/write to another PLC on the network. Does anyone know the Unity equivalent to AB's produced/consumed?

Thanks in advance,
Joe T
I presume when you say Unity you are referring to Schneider's programming package Unity Pro, yes ?

There is lots of option in the Schneider world for messaging but firstly have a read up on the IO Scanning service (this is depended on hardware though) and then READ_VAR, WRITE_VAR.
Old May 7th, 2018, 02:39 AM   #4
scrambled
Australia

Lol, OP is referring to a different Unity software, not Unity3D the gaming dev platform.

Cross-PLC comms on the Modicon platform is easiest done through Modbus TCP. As mentioned by others, you can set up I/O scanning service to do automated read/writes or you can do the comms within the logic itself using READ_VAR and WRITE_VAR function blocks. The latter is more work but will allow for more granular control over the nature of the data requests.

The above only needs to be done on the master delivering the read or write requests, the slave only needs to make sure the required data to be read from or written to is in the registers targeted by the master.
Old August 10th, 2018, 08:37 PM   #5
kwade
United States

this thread went downhill quickly
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:13 AM   #6
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Does not take them long.... but its cleaned up
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum