You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 10th, 2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Frinehart
United States

Indirect Addressing in Studio 5000

All,

I have a question on Indirect addressing, is it possible to use two bits to indirectly address in Studio5000 or do you have to use multiple bits to make this work? I know that you can do it in older processors, I am currently converting a PLC-5 to ControlLogix.
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:55 AM   #2
jkerekes
United States

Can you give an example? I'm not understanding fully your question.
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Frinehart
United States

Previous program has an N[N7:52]:[N7:54] as the indirect address calling a different N bit. Once converted the bits change to N[N7_52][N7_54] and the value comes in as ?? for it not being found.
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:25 AM   #4
chintankAne
Canada

If I am Not wrong you are talking about a two-dimensional array. Here I attach Picture for you.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2018-08-10_8-18-28.png (220.0 KB, 103 views)
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:34 AM   #5
Frinehart
United States

Thank you that makes more since than what i was thinking.
Old August 10th, 2018, 08:12 AM   #6
AutoMax
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Not to be a pedantic jerk, but please realize when referencing an "N" register in a PLC5 that is not a bit. A bit is boolean or binary, a 0 or 1. An "N" is a collection of 16 bits, commonly called a word or an INT in Studio5k.
This might sound like useless trivia but there is definite value in familiarizing yourself with data types.
Old August 10th, 2018, 08:18 AM   #7
Frinehart
United States

[quote=AutoMax;787526]Not to be a pedantic jerk, but please realize when referencing an "N" register in a PLC5 that is not a bit. A bit is boolean or binary, a 0 or 1. An "N" is a collection of 16 bits, commonly called a word or an INT in Studio5k.

I understand it is a register just using bit as a generic term.
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:54 AM   #8
jstolaruk
United States

Sadly, the 5000 implementation is actually indexed addressing. There is no pointer data type that would allow true indirect addressing, referring to pointers in Step 7.
Old August 10th, 2018, 01:13 PM   #9
OkiePC
United States

You can do this in RSLogix 5000, but, if I remember right, you can only have one indirection per tag reference.

So in your case of file and word indirection you would be best served by making use of 2 dimensional arrays and improve the tag name scheme while you're at it.
Old August 11th, 2018, 08:00 AM   #10
Aardwizz
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinehart View Post
. Once converted the bits change to N[N7_52][N7_54]
I can't tell if you or the conversion program has the typo (probably you since you keep insisting on calling words "bits"), but the data structure should be N[N7_52, N7_54]

The problem you're going to have is that, if N7:52 (AKA N7[52], which is probably referenced by an alias tag "N7_52") has a value of '100', the conversion program would have created an N100, but it will not be linked to the two-dimensional array "N" that was also created.

If you have logic that references any N100[x] addresses, they won't manipulate the data in the N[x,y] array.

The conversion program is OK, but there's only so much that it can do, The PLC-5 / SLC just think differently than the CLX / CPX processors.

Okie gave you the best advice -- rewrite this section of logic from scratch, and improve the naming convention while you're at it.
Old August 12th, 2018, 07:32 PM   #11
ASF
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardwizz View Post
okie gave you the best advice -- rewrite this section of logic from scratch, and improve the naming convention while you're at it.
+1
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum