GE Series 90-30 Input Card Addressing

Tweeker

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have one IC693MDL645D Input card in a small system. The addresses of the module start at %I00081. I want them to start at %I00001. I cannot seem to change this number in the configuration. What else can I try?

Is there anything using the %I00001 address space? Analog I/O card? Communication module? Proficy ME tends to give the "next available" address assignment automatically.

You should be able to change this in the configuration but probably only offline.

Only 3 cards in the rack. Processor, one input, one output. I've tried online, offline, looking for dip switches, everything I can think of. I don't understand it.

When you start a new 90-30 project, Proficy will default to a CPU374 which has an Ethernet port. The Ethernet port has 80 %I bits of status information which Proficy defaults to start at %I00001. Thus, the next available %I address for the MDL645 is %I00081. You can change the starting address for the Ethernet port status bits to free up the address you want for the MDL645.
Remember also that to download a new hardware configuration the PLC must be stopped. When you begin a download with the PLC stopped, you get a choice of downloading the program, the configuration and the initial values. If you begin a download while the PLC is running you don't get those choices. All you download is the program.

Steve is correct however why in the world does it matter what addess it starts at? Give each Input a "Name" and use it for all programming. You can even call.them In1, In2 etc. if you like.

Thank you for that answer Steve. I am new to GE and am trying to learn all the nuances of the software and hardware.

RussB, it matters in that I want to know how it is done.

Thank you for that answer Steve. I am new to GE and am trying to learn all the nuances of the software and hardware.

RussB, it matters in that I want to know how it is done.
Maybe.
When one is really interested in "how" one studies the system to learn, rather than looking for a "quick" answer. Or is that a generational thing.

When you start a new 90-30 project, Proficy will default to a CPU374 which has an Ethernet port. The Ethernet port has 80 %I bits of status information which Proficy defaults to start at %I00001. Thus, the next available %I address for the MDL645 is %I00081. You can change the starting address for the Ethernet port status bits to free up the address you want for the MDL645.
Remember also that to download a new hardware configuration the PLC must be stopped. When you begin a download with the PLC stopped, you get a choice of downloading the program, the configuration and the initial values. If you begin a download while the PLC is running you don't get those choices. All you download is the program.

Thank you Steve this helped me out on a project that I'm working on. I upgraded a 90-30 plc to a CPE305 and all of the Input addressing started at 00001 and instead of re-writing all of the variables I was able to move the Ethernet address starting point to 129. This was my first time programming a GE PLC, I've only really done Allen Bradley my whole career.