3 Phase Current

sparky64

I know this is a controls site, but hopefully you guys will be able to help me settle a discussion.

I have a 25 Amp SSR controlling a bank of heaters connected in Star.

The supply is 415, my question is....does the 25 Amps relate to Line current (Il) or Phase current (Ip), i know that with a star connection that line current (Il) = phase current (Ip) & with a delta connection phase current (Ip) = line current (Il) / 1.73

So my question is, does the stated current rating of 3 phase 415v equipment refer to line current or phase current??

Cheers

Sparky

sparky64 said:
...I have a 25 Amp SSR...

Originally posted by sparky64 ...does the stated current rating of 3 phase 415v equipment refer to line current or phase current?

Its related to the SSR

It does not care what you connect. The load is your problem. The SSR can give you this much. If you abuse it it will release its embeded smoke to signal the problem.

Imagine the 3 pahses SSR as 3 seperated single phase SSR

The relay "contacts" are rated at 25A.

I know it is solid state (probably triacs or similar), but you get a closed switch when energized or enabled, whether there are actual contacts or some other open which becomes shorted when activated.

Think of it as any relay with a 25A rating, like a KUP (typically 10A contacts), for ease of understanding.

So, to answer your actual question: The 25A is phase current (one phase per "contact").

But I've been wrong before. ;)

3 phase current

why don,t you use a 24Amp Power Regulator it's function as a SSR.
25 Amp rating on 3 phase equipment such as motor will refer as the phase current.