PanelView + to CompactLogix

RBergmann

I do have some experience with PLCs & OITs (HMIs) of Mitsubishi/Idec and Renu, and even a single project using a SLC 500 with a PanelView over a DH+ connection. All have gone pretty much as I might have expected, but now I'm trying to figure out how to reference/access/display the tags in an RSLogix 5000/CompactLogix program. I'm using a PanelView Plus 700 connected via Ethernet to a 1769-L32E.

I have been led to understand that it is not necessary to map the tags in the controller for the HMI to have access to these tags. I cannot see how to reference the tag base in RSLogix 5000 to apply them to objects in my project. I've exhausted the on-line help files (at least for references that make sense to me), looked at the RSLinx Enterprise (tried setting up an OPC topic) and the FactoryTalk (no idea how this works) stuff to see how these references work.

If it helps, I'm running the RSLogix version 15 on a Dell D505. I'm connected up to the controller and the HMI via a wireless connection. I've had no problem downloading the program files to each. I receive error messages for my tags "not being activated".

Trying to get some information over the weekend if possible. If not, Monday I'll be able to wait on the phone for tech support.

Thanks for any help you can give.

... rab

CroCop said:
Have you built a tag database in the HMI with the correct Ethernet path to the L32E?
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, I haven't. I understood that the tag database in RSLogix 5000 could somehow be accessed directly and referenced to the controller in runtime. In any event, how would the path be established? I can't for the life of me see a way to do this.

I did, however, select the RSLogix 5000 database for my project in RSLinx Enterprise, but cannot see how this path is reflected in RSView for referencing the objects to these tags.

... rab

Hi, There are 2 ways to access the info in a PLC with a PV+. The classic way of using a tag database in the PV+ that references the PLC bits or by direct reference. I would not bother with the classic method.
Using direct referencing there again are 2 setups needed.
Under the explorer tab by default RSLinx enterprise is set up as your OPC server. If you expand this you will see "Communication Setup"
Open this and there will be a window with "Local" or "Target"
What you do here is
a)
For local we tell the PV+ what style of processor we are looking at and where the RSLogix 5000 ACD file lives on our computer. This means that while we are developing the project we can browse from the PV+ to the ACD file to select the offline tag we require.
b)
Target. Is where the actual PLC is on the network and and if we are connected live we can develop or modify the project by direct browsing to the PLC tag database.

To actually set these up in PV+ is a bit daunting the first time and if there is anyone in your area ie Distributor rep or AB rep to help will make it a lot easier. Once you figure it out you will enjoy the direct referencing method.
Regards Alan Case

Last edited:
Alan ...

This is where I'm getting fouled up. I have some questions:

1. For Local, when you state processor, is this the PanelView Plus or the RSLogix 5000? Which element in the tree?
2. For Target, I assume the RSLogix 5000. Which element in the tree?
3. I set a path to the *.ACD file.

Is a shortcut setup necessary?

I have tried to attach a screenshot of the Communications Setup Screen to show how it's set up. I don't show the *.ACD path. I don't understand the DF1 Point to Point entry. I'm connect via Ethernet.

CommunicationsSetup.jpg

... rab

n.b. guess it worked!

You are telling the PV+ where to find the data so it is the processor you need.

You have to have a device shortcut in the left window, ie Pine_Bluff that when you click on it highlights the processor. (1 above what is highlighted. Then browse to where the ACD file is in offline tag file then OK it. To check if it is correct toggle to target then back to local. Click on the short and the processor should highlight
Regards Alan

RBergmann said:

1. For Local, when you state processor, is this the PanelView Plus or the RSLogix 5000? Which element in the tree?

I have tried to attach a screenshot of the Communications Setup Screen to show how it's set up. I don't show the *.ACD path. I don't understand the DF1 Point to Point entry. I'm connect via Ethernet.
The idea behind 'Local' and 'Target' is to enable development of the application on a different set of hardware from the installed system. You develop with the 'Local' configuration for use with the configuration in the 'Target' tab.

As Alan explained, the shortcut points to the processor that has the tags you want to access. Yes, it is necessary. The shortcut points to one processor on the 'Local' tab and one processor on the 'Target' tab, which may be different models and/or have different IP addresses.

When you do a test run on your PC, the 'Local' configuration is used. When you create the runtime file for download to the PV+, the 'Target' configuration is used.

Alan ...

I had not forgotten to thank you for your help, I lost my internet connection at home yesterday (I'm in an extremely rural area of Southern California with no access to the usual means of connectivity) and this morning my computer wouldn't boot up (a failed memory module). So I'm just getting back to working on this.

I have access to the *.ACD file now. I didn't really understand how to set up the short cut and had not set up a DF1 Serial connection (which I think that I had to do to make this work). I don't know what kind of DF1 connection (and really don't know what a DF connection is) that I did have. But after setting this up and carefully clicking on: shortcut -> DF1 Serial Connection -> selecting a source tag file, this allowed me to see the controller scoped tags.

Tech assistance last Friday told me that I'd have access both to controller scope tags as well as program scope tags. Guess not. So now I have reassign all the tags required for HMI interfacing to controller scoped.

I have some other minor issues, but now that It's the work week again, I can call A-B's tech support.

Thanks again for everything.

Gerry ...

You helped me to understand the Local/Target concept. I was thinking in reference to the PanelView Plus's point of view.

... rab

RBergmann said:
Alan ...

CommunicationsSetup.jpg

... rab

n.b. guess it worked!

Your should create a shortcut that is applyed to your processor l32e/a (highlight then press apply). Then you should be able to browse online. Wireless may or maynot work. You are better of using ethernet cabling.

Thanks ...

I am now connected and can browse both Controller Scoped and Program Scoped tags. I thank all that responded.

Alan, I especially need to thank you for the extra effort in getting me a sample to work with. Unbeknownst(?) to you, you also helped me to understand the clock configuration in RSLogix 5000 so that I could set up the PLC as a clock master for use by the PanelView. I found your explaination in another thread that nailed it for me.

BTW ... the wireless works great now that I've cleared out the connectivity issues. Allows me to connect to the processor from the convenience of an air conditioned office to the L32E and the PanelView Plus located in my shop. This is especially convenient since we've been having rather uncomfortable temperatures around here lately.

... rab