Compact Logix Ethernet Connection

dhuber

Hi, i am having an issue connecting to my compact logix through ethernet. I am connected to the device, i can ping the ip address of the compact logix and i get replies. In RXLinx it shows me that i am connected to the device, yet in RSLogix, i can't acutally connect to the plc. I have been on this plc many times before, and am not sure what has changed.
Any help would be appreciated, it si probably something really stupid.

Viks is right - it's PROBABLY your path that is set incorrectly ... instead of clicking "Go Online" try this instead ...

from the Main Menu (top of screen) click Communications and then Who Active ... browse through the network and click on your processor to highlight it ... then click the Go Online button on the right side of the window ...

if THAT doesn't work, try looking for your processor in a different area of the same Who Active window ... secret handshake: depending on how your system is configured, the same processor might appear in several places ... try highlighting any other such places ... when you highlight on a valid path, the "Go Online" button on the right will become active ...

if THAT doesn't work, please post again and tell us what error message you're getting - and WHERE you're getting that message ... (example: RSLogix5000 - RSLinx - etc.) ...

also - make sure that you have the correct version of RSLogix5000 available ... specifically, version 15 software will NOT go online with a version 13 processor ...

Ok, so i was in rswho in rslogix. I can see that the adapter is online, take a look at the picture i have attached, but i can't go online or download. I tried extending all the branches, and i couldn't see anyone of them where it would let me go online.
I can connect fine via a serial connection, but i cannot connect via ethernet at all.

I am getting the error message in RSLogix, i can't remember the exact error message though, and i am not at the machine, so i can't try and get it.

I am running the correct copy of rslogix, i have been on this plc many times before.

RSlinx.jpg

You have to go one or two more steps down; to the CompactLogix backplane and then to the CompactLogix controller itself.

Over DF1, you're connected directly to the controller.
Over EtherNet/IP you need to bridge through the daughtercard and the backplane object to the controller in "Slot 0".

The virtual backplane object is implemented even in controllers where everything is built onto a single assembly or box, for similarity/compatibility with the way the modular ControlLogix communications engine works.

Eddie you sure type faster than me.........

I was just about to say what you suggested. You should be able to go online now dhuber....

cheers,

When i go down to that step, the DF1 in slot 0 has a red X over it, so i am obviously not connected to it.
What would be my issue then?
It has been a long day.
I can still ping the PLC ip address though command prompt and recieve relies back, so i must be connected.

Back up one step !

You want to point to the CONTROLLER.

Not to the Ethernet daughtercard. Not to the backplane. Not right past the controller and out the serial port.

The usual problem with going online via the Ethernet port is if you have the EDS files for the Ethernet daughtercard but not for the virtual backplane or for the controller itself. The symptom is always yellow question mark icons with "unrecognized device" or the absence of a [+] alongside the Ethernet daughtercard.

The red X is a sign of a timeout, not an EDS mismatch/absence. If you are genuinely browsing the virtual backplane, and you get a red X in Slot 0, that means there is something broken between the controller and the virtual backplane object (I've never seen something like that).

If you get a red X after browsing past the controller onto the DF1 port, that's no surprise because there's no other controller connected to that port.

Browse one more step past the Ethernet daughtercard, then post that screenshot.

Remember - Logix 5k software/controllogix hardware will support multiple processors on the same backplane(!) - because of this, when you drill down through Linx, you need to specify which processor you want to talk to. Usually, a rack only has one, so its an easy choice....

-John

Ok, so today when i had time to try this again, it worked no problem.
Believe me, i tried every single branch that there was yesterday.
So, i dont know what changed or what was going, but it's working fine now. One of those issues that makes you pretty frustrated though.