Micrologix 1100

knightfan

I have a viewmarq LED message board that I am trying to count the number of parts made. I have everything working with communication. I can send messages from the plc to the viewmarq. The viewmarq software writes the command string for you after you set up the display how you want it. I am sending the text from 2 AWT instructions and ending with a AWA instruction. I can send any wording I want with no issues.. MY problem is I cant figure out how to send a changing integer (seconds timer) or (parts made) to the message board. I have the number in N7:0, Now what the heck do I do with it?? I tried the the integer to string but that didnt work... Im at a loss.......

You'd use an AIC instruction to pass your INT into a string variable. Then you'd concatenate your string variables together to build the message and write that to the viewmarq.

I guess Im having trouble with stringing the command strings together. Where can I get info on string programming??

Hmm, I don't see a technote that seems to be exactly what you want, but if you look at the help files for the instruction ACN that should show you how to perform the concatenation function. You may need to use several to put your new string in the middle of 2 other strings, or some such.

sure, but you can send a much shorter command for the 'update' string.

I'd use whatever string to 'select' a built in message, add a variable field to that message and use a smaller update string to update the variable.

Or, you can use multiple strings and make sure only the last one has the carriage return. The viewmarq should put it back together normally. Check out chapter 7 of the manual.

I have an example, but my program was done in 5000 using the ethernet comms. So a little different, but you're welcome to it if you're interested.

Can you MOV or COP the N7 value to a ST9 word and AWT it from there? Also, the ML1100 updates seconds on even numbers only. Not sure if that will be a problem with your seconds display if you're getting the value from the RTC.