Datalinks for Powerflex 753

rrparker07

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have recently upgraded a ancient 1336 drive with a 150 HP Powerflex 753 FW9.1. I have the drive talking and working with datalinks via a 20-COMM-E card. I know that there is a way to program and use custom datalinks but I don't currently have the time to figure this out. Is there a way to change what is being written to the reference tag that was automatically created when I added the drive in 5000? It defaults to the drive speed but I need to use the output current. I have looked through both the programming and user manual and if its in there than I am just missing it Thanks in advance.

Roy

What version of 5000 are you using? Are you using the built in drive AOPs?

It's easy if you're using the AOPs, go into the module definition and then change. You can set the datalinks and what data they are pulling.

*Edit - The module definition in 5000.

Last edited:
Using version 20. I am assuming that 5000 used an AOP. It created the default IO tags for me and I can connect and look at all of the parameters and statuses while running. I thought if you didn't have the AOP you couldn't do that.

Thanks Dravik. I'll check that out when I get a chance. I'm definitely not at a point where I can do a download. I created this module online and just have the default parameters created from the software. My thought was that I could change what was being written to the input feedback tag that was created. So are you saying that the default tag reads from the speed feedback in the drive and not a holding register that you can change what is written to it?

Yeah, best of my knowledge the default feedback on the 753s is Speed and you can't change it. I believe you CAN change it on the 700 series drives, but i've never tried.

Now, depending on how quickly you needed to know the output current feedback, you might be able to use a MSG instruction, but I haven't tried that personally w/ these drives.

So are you saying that the default tag reads from the speed feedback in the drive and not a holding register that you can change what is written to it?

Correct. Reference and Feedback are always a matched pair. Check out the 20-750-COMM-E manual starting on Page 106.

You can select the units of Reference/Feedback for RPM or for Hz, but you can't change what parameter goes into that spot in the I/O image.

You can use MSG instructions to grab the output current right now, or wait for the opportunity to re-configure the I/O image with DataLinks and do a download.

You can do a msg to grab that data, or another thing you can do, would be to create a new module online with the settings in the module definition as you need. Set the input data in the drop down menu to 3 which is Output current.

Youll have to use the next available IP address, and change the drive IP to suit. Also you'll need to readdress your program. And you'll be stuck with an IO error until you have a chance to remove the "missing" drive and do another download.

Module Def.jpg