FT View SE clients dsiplays and popups freezing.

bfranklin

FT View SE Version= 7.00.00
FT View Services Platform = 2.60.00
Redundant network
Server 1 & 2 OS = Windows Server 2008 R2, 64 bit
Workstation OS = Windows 7 pro, 64 bit

FT View clients displays and popups freeze sometimes for minutes. This is a new facility, around 4 years old and this problem has been ongoing for around 1 year.

The engineering work station is the worst and the operator workstations are a lot better.

I contacted Rockwell tech support and they verified various windows, internet explorer and factory talk settings. We then deleted the temporary internet explorer files which did not seem to fix anything. They then recommend upgrading to the latest patch rollup.

Before moving forward and installing the patch rollups on all servers and workstations are there any other options/ideas?

Thanks

What else is on the network with FTView server/clients? Do you have a separate network for your controls/SCADA or are they on the same network as the office computers, e-mail, printers, etc.? The latter scenario is a cause for many ills.

I have looked at the logs and there are "application hanging" errors, I can't seem to kind any info on this error on knowledge base.

a colleague of mine mentioned that it could be a possible memory leak, I have not dealt with this before.

Does anyone have a procedure or a tool to identify a memory leak?

Does the problem go away for a while after rebooting? That could indicate a memory leak. If the problem remains, it is just another issue with FTView.

I seriously doubt that Rockwell's "Tech Support" will be of any assistance at all.

I have looked at the logs and there are "application hanging" errors, I can't seem to kind any info on this error on knowledge base.

Can you post the whole text of these errors? I don't remember an error that would say "application hanging".

Have you looked in the diagnostic log for clues?
Would be good to see the diagnostics log from client PC startup until after you navigate a few screens.
You may need to open the FTDiagnostic Setup to enable all messages.

I contacted Rockwell tech support and they verified various windows, internet explorer and factory talk settings. We then deleted the temporary internet explorer files which did not seem to fix anything. They then recommend upgrading to the latest patch rollup.
There was a problem when Internet Explorer had too small of a cache. I don't recall which version of IE or FTView that was.

Either way, check the size of the cache for IE temporary files. It should be at least as large as your FTView application folder size.
And yes, using the latest patches from Rockwell is a must (unless you have specific reasons not to).

I forgot to mention that HMI utilizes Plant PAx
PlantPAX graphics take up a lot of memory/performance.
They are going to be a problem if you have the small IE cache size.

did you find any solutions to your problem?
I have recently done upgrade of FactoryTalk View SE 8.0 redundant system
to version 12.0 onto new servers.
The new system experience random freezes on windows, sometimes taking 30 seconds to load popup new pages. Happens now and then every 10-15 minutes.
I get no error messages in windows logs or diagnostic viewer.
The customer are not happy paying ****load of money for a slower system. And I totally agree.

I found these tips on Rockwell Automation Support Center.
Done all steps excepts for step 7. Problem still here.
Gosh.. this software is starting to annoy me.

Any other tips would be helpful

1. Make sure LAN adapter is using maximum baud rate and duplex settings.

2. Be sure temporary Internet file settings are properly configured. For some guidelines and specific instructions see tech note 25176 - Temporary Internet Files: Recommended Settings Common Problems.

3. Disable power management on the LAN adapters.

4. See tech note 114423 - Disabling Authenticode in .NET Framework applications

5. If the version of FactoryTalk View is 5.0 or greater, and if the project is configured to use area names, make sure that the capitalization of the area name in the tag reference matches that of the area name.
For example, if you are using an area called "Area1" and the tag address is "/AREA1::[Shortcut]TestDINT[0]", you may experience slower updates.

6. Check the FactoryTalk Diagnostics viewer for any Cannot interpret area errors and Item [tag path] is unresolved in the processor on route [processor type] at [IP address] when running your project.
Remove references to objects or areas that no longer exist in your screen objects and in the components of your FactoryTalk View SE application. Delete all references to the missing tags in the controller in your project.
Fix any controller communication issues for valid tags. Tags that you attempt to read from the controller that do not exist can cause View SE to continuously slow down.
Try reading and writing to the same tags in FactoryTalk Live Data Test Client.
If the test client seems to read and write to tags at a normal speed, then you know that the communications backbone for your display is functioning properly, and that the problem is related to displays in FactoryTalk View Studio.

7. If this project was converted from RSView32 or an older version of FactoryTalk View SE to a newer version, try recreating the display and input objects on the display as a test to see if they are faster.