Panelbuilder32 Error 1091

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I recently had to update RSLinx to version 4.00 to support some new Logix hardware.

Today I was attempting to upload from a Panelview Standard via RSLinx and got this error:

attachment.php

Luckily, my buddy had the stuff we needed to get the files uploaded, but I need to figure out if there is a way I can continue to use my laptop for this.

I looked on the Knowledgebase for tips but that site has become more and more cumbersome to use every time I go there (about once a year). I cannot even find Panelbuilder32 in the categories any more and a general search gives me thousands of unrelated items.

I am running PB32 v3.83.01

I bet one of you registry hacker experts or Knowledgebase surfer gurus can hook me up.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't see what "this error" is. Is there supposed to be some pasted text or image? Edit: I'm an idiot, you were referring to error 1091. My bad

Okay, I messed up the image trying to insert it into the body of the thread. I can see it from the PC on which I created the thread...but when i visit this thread from a different computer, it wasn't visible.

Here is the image:

PB32 Error 1091.png

Last edited:
I am having the exact same issue as OkiePC
I have the same installed versions of PB32 and RSLinx as OkiePC stated.
I have recently installed updated versions of Rockwell software, but about 3 months ago I did use PB32 and uploaded the panelview program at a client site.

Edit: I just tried my Win7 32bit VM which has PB32 v3.83.01 and RSLinx v2.54.00.11 and it works just fine.
That leads me to believe that upgrading RSLinx to version 4.00 is the culprit...

Last edited:
I hunted for a registry setting and PB32 ini file that might reveal a trick, but no luck so I submitted this question directly to RA tech support so maybe they can fix it for us.

Well they say it never hurts to ask, so I tried, but Rockwell answer is to use an older version of RSLinx, or perhaps a VM with an older version of RSLinx which is what I will do.
They are not going to put any effort into updating PB32 which is completely understandable.

Yes, I would wholeheartedly support this solution. I only run PanelBuilder32 v3.83 and RSLinx Classic v2.59 inside a Windows XP Mode session on a Windows 7 64-bit host Operating System. This prevents any (or most) incompatibility issues that could arise from using 32-bit software with more modern 64-bit OS or versions of interoperable software...

341918 - Support of Rockwell Automation Software in Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

I'm suffering from this as well.

What bothers me is that I had it working fine on Win 7 64-bit and it just doesn't work on Win 10, but I think I was running RSLinx v3.9 on Win 7 and now I'm at v4.00.

I too called Tech Support and just got "PanelBuilder32 is not supported after XP. I'm surprised you got it working at all in Windows 7".

Some extra things I've tried.

Right click on WinPFTv2.exe and run it in compatability mode for Windows XP. No luck.

Right click on PBWin32.exe and run it in compatability mode for Windows XP. No luck.

Run RSLinx itself in compatability mode for XP. Still no luck.

There has to be some combinations of these fixes that will work. KEN ROACH WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!

Back in the good old days, say around the time RSLinx was coming out to replace Interchange (actually it was Wintelligent Linx first, wasn't it), Rockwell have made some utility that would just cause RSLinx to lie about it's version number to PB32. Or Roach would have figured out a way to do it.

I've had hellish experience with Windows XP mode so I'm going to stick to a VMWare virtual machine.

I'm going to have to re-image this machine soon. After I do, I'll downgrade RSLinx to v3.9 and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited:
A Solution?

OK, I finally found a breakthrough!

I had upgraded from CCW 10.01 to CCW 11.00, which forces RSLinx 4.00 to be installed (so installing RSLinx 3.90 or less is not an option for me). CCW = Connected Components Workbench, for those who don't know.

After scanning Process Explorer (from Windows Sysinternals) for a while, I found one file that turned out to be the issue - DTL32.dll

I used a copy of it from a very similar computer with an older version of RSLinx installed (I have multiple laptops setup with the same exact software, except for the one difference of upgrading CCW, thus an older version of RSLinx is installed - the exact version I failed to make note of). By renaming the existing dll file to DTL32.dll_NEW (since its the "newer" version) and replacing it with the old file, I was able to get PanelBuilder 32 (or more correctly, WinPFT) to load up RSLinx without error and upload/download to a Panel View.

I found that opening RSLinx, RSLogix5, RSlogix 500, and other AB programs access this same file, so I highly recommend putting the existing one back (the newer one) when doing anything else other than uploading and downloading programs from/to a PanelView to ensure that no bugs occur.

I am uploading the old DTL32.dll (named DTL32.dll_OLD) and a ReadMe. Hopefully anyone can use my copy of the old dll file. If not, you will have to get a copy of it before you install RSLinx 4.00 and keep it handy to perform this trick.

Some notes I want to share:
1. I upgraded RSLinx to 4.01, but it made no difference as far as the PanelBuilder issue that this thread refers to.

2. You can edit PBA/PVA file without any issue in all cases. The new version of DTL32.dll is only an issue when you try to upload/download from/to a PanelVew. WinPFT (the file transfer utility for PanelBuilder) tries to access DTL32 and parses some information that it doesn't like (throwing the error we all came here to read about). It claims that 4.00 is not later than 2.20 (I don't know what kind of math Rockwell used to come up with that nonsense - maybe too much of this -> 🍺).

3.PanelBuilder 32 is easily installed on Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit). However, I follow a very strict installation procedure, because programs like UltraWare and DriveExecutive can also be installed, but not after you install newer versions of RSLinx (like 3.4 and higher). I suspect that the newer versions of RSLinx do "bad things" that the program installation applications aren't made to deal with. I make sure to install an old version of RSLinx (I use 2.57), install PanelBuilder 32, install UltraWare, install Drive Executive, then RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500, and then all of the RSLogix 5000 versions (which versions 16 and up seem to be the most stable with Windows 7 - I can install 10-15, but they tend to crash).

4. I do not have to use any XP Mode or comapatability settings to run PanelBuilder32. It works right off the bat after installation.

5. You need administrator rights to modify files in the SysWOW64 folder. If you do not have them, it's game over.

6. I use Windows 7 Professional Edition x64.

Last edited:
I would again, and in keeping with the technote's suggestion, always advise you to use an older version of RSLinx Classic with PanelBuilder32 and I would also advise to always install them in XP Mode or a similar virtual platform. It is nigh on impossible to maintain the older RSLinx Classic relationship if installing PanelBuilder32 natively in a Windows 7 x64 Operating System along with many other constantly upgraded software product, such as CCW. It's too easy forget the lesser used older software installed on a host system while installing that shiny new upgrade that's going to do great work for you today. You don't realize the damage done until that next day you go to use PanelBuilder32, or similar legacy products.

The fix here is great for those in "that" bind, but I'm just advising you to avoid getting yourself into "that" bind in the first place.

RSLinx Classic v2.59 is the highest stable older version that you should use with PanelBuilder32 v3.83.01.

Regards,
George

Thank you so much lstavropoulos

I would like to pass along many thanks to lstavropoulos. 🍺 You have saved me immense frustration. In my case I just used the DTL32.dll I found on one of my older machines.

I would also like to pass along the results of some further experimentation I have done.

I wrote a couple of batch files so I can easily swap back and forth between the old version and the new version.

The last time I swapped in the PanelBuilder version I decided to leave it in just to see if there were any adverse effects. I have since gone online with ControlLogix processors from 60 series to 80 series and firmware versions 19, 30, and 31. I've also gone online with a SLC 500. I have not had a single issue yet. So, for now at least, I'm keeping the old version as the active version. If I see anything negative, I will update this thread.

I should also mention I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Last edited:
Hi cbanzet, I like your idea of using the batch files! I am going to set that up, as well.

I was wondering if you were able to use the file that I uploaded? I am still unsure if it can be used by others with dissimilar computers.

I also wonder, do you happen to have Connected Components Workbench 10.1 installed? It was that software that forced RSLinx 4.0 on me. I will try to use the older version of DTL32 and run that software to see if it gives me any problems.

Thanks for the feedback!