Accessing S5-135U PLC with HP laptop having WINDOWS XP Professional

RAJATPALLAV

Dear ALL !!

I am trying to go ONLINE with S5-135U Siemens PLC using my HP laptop loaded with WINDOWS XP Professional using RS232 to TTY converter.

I am told WINDOWS XP Professional will occupy COM port on bootup itself so I cannot go ONLINE using COM port.

Is that correct? What is the way out?

Im using Step5 V7.23 under WinXP and didn't experience any problems with online communication to S5. Since version 7.2 of Step5 Siemens has changed access to COM port, so it should work with standard RS232 to TTY converter.

RAJATPALLAV said:
Dear ALL !!

I am trying to go ONLINE with S5-135U Siemens PLC using my HP laptop loaded with WINDOWS XP Professional using RS232 to TTY converter.

I am told WINDOWS XP Professional will occupy COM port on bootup itself so I cannot go ONLINE using COM port.

Is that correct? What is the way out?

What software are you using?
The old versions of Step 5 had COM1 hard coded as the communication port.

The story about the COM port you heard may have been someother application using com port #, such as Rslinx with DF1 driver, or some fax software.

Ian

Hi

We tried a converter ( usb ) , tried dual boot disk ( WinXP and Win 98 ) but best solution for us is a bootable USB stick .We shutdown and restart in dos using usb stick .The usb stick contains all DOS progreams we STILL HAVE to use .The dos version we are using is DR DOS

Eric

Online comms with S5 under XP require a "real" serial port with a 16450/16550 UART. USB adaptors don't have a real UART chip and - in my experience - don't work.

I'm regularly using S5 (V7.23) with XP using a PCMCIA serial card for online comms, Not sure if V7.1 will work but it has to be worth a go.

Nick